Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Fallen off the Primal bus and having a hard time getting back on page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    For me the biggest question is: "Why do you want to be Primal?" If your goal is purely weight loss, perhaps there is something else out there that would feel more natural to you than Primal. With losing weight, forcing a way of eating that is incompatible with what keeps you going will make you stop to adhere. Make adjustments that are easy to make and that will lead you to lose weight. Then make more adjustments. Etc.

Anyway, I am chewing gum right now so I probably should not be talking at all. After all is said and done, losing weight overrode for me the "OMG, I want to be Paleo/Primal!" In the end, I want to be ripped and I want to satisfy my sweet tooth too and experience the soothing chewing.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    I know when I've gone off course, I only have to think about all the yummmmy foods I get to eat. Just be sure to plan out what you're going to eat and snack on very specifically for a few days. The first few days back "on", you will be very hungry, so make sure you are set up to succeed. Bring on the bacon!
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

denisedb is offline Member
    Wow, thank you so much, everyone! I can't believe I got so many responses. You have no idea how much support I feel!

I used to eat Primal before there was a Primal movement -- back in the mid '90's after college, it's just how I started eating, made me feel great.

Cut to one serious auto-immune illness (and recovery), two kids, and thirty pounds later...and voila, here I am. I love eating this way, it's when I don't sleep that I'm thrown. And my kids haven't been good sleepers. What got me off this round was my four year old wreaking havoc on our household with his sleep apnea (we're on it, solution-wise, now). And then after 2 1/2 or so weeks of no deep sleep, then I couldn't get back to sleep, at all! Which is when I turned to lattes and pan au chocolat.

Everybody's giving great advice -- one meal at a time. I am just so amazingly discouraged with my weight, lack of vitality, and now a sharp, deep, chronic pain in my hip that has been keeping me from exercising. It hurt to go on a light walk tonight! I'm heading to the doctor tomorrow about it though I don't expect they'll have much by way of suggestions; I suspect it may be inflammation.

Anyway, I digress. Trying to give myself that jolt, just reading a ton, looking at recipes, and trying to tell myself that I can get back to my normal size and health. I appreciate so much all of your advice and encouragement!

patski is offline Senior Member
    Buy yourself your absolute favourite cut of steak.

Grill it, pan-sear it...cook it however you like it best.

Serve your favourite veg on the side cooked in your FOC (fat of choice). I love lard, duck fat, and beef tallow.

EAT YOUR FACE OFF.

If this doesn't put you back on the wagon, then I'm very sorry. You're completely hopeless.

KIDDING!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

denisedb is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Buy yourself your absolute favourite cut of steak.

Grill it, pan-sear it...cook it however you like it best.

Serve your favourite veg on the side cooked in your FOC (fat of choice). I love lard, duck fat, and beef tallow.

EAT YOUR FACE OFF.

If this doesn't put you back on the wagon, then I'm very sorry. You're completely hopeless.

KIDDING!
    Love it! That's hilarious! And I'm soooooo going to do it... Thanks

Periwinkle is offline Senior Member
    You remind me of me...I am a single mom to a 2 year old and 4 year old. Turning 40 next month. My 4 year old wakes up every night between 12 and 2 am to potty. I tried for two weeks once to go without caffiene, but I felt like I got run over by a truck the whole time. I just accepted that for now, coffee with raw cream is part of my eating. I eat as primally as I can, and if I eat somthing that isnt primal one day, I just try to eat more primal the next day. I accepted that b/c of lack of sleep over which I have no control, that my results just wont be as good as I want them to be but I must feel better this way than I would if I was eating SAD and getting no sleep...if that makes sense. Just hang in there. and plan ahead. Just little things like boiling eggs on Sunday for the week can help. Then you always have a grab and go breakfast.
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    The Primal Wagon moves slowly and lifts heavy.

So it's easy to get back on! And the people who are on are so encouraging! Must be all that fat...

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    3 weeks is hardly long enough to establish life-long habits. Making the switch can be HARD. Simple...but not easy. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Prioritize. Put yourself and this new lifestyle ahead of everything else for 6 weeks. No excuses. I'm not saying ignore everything else...just don't get into the habit of blaming life and everyone else's needs for getting in the way of your own.

Plan, plan, plan. Knowing ahead of time what your next meal will be will help ward off hunger and impulse eating. I have no anxiety about being hungry for any length of time anymore, because I usually know what awesome food is waiting for me at home. One thing I hear over an over from people who "can't do" or give up on primal is that thinking about their food all the time is a pain. Ironically, our ancestors, even just a few generations ago, before convenience food, fast food and freezers, put a high priority growing, sourcing, and preserving food. Food *should* be on your mind all the time.

Stop thinking of Primal as a weight loss plan. Eat optimally, and let weight loss be a result of a healthy lifestyle.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

neowild is offline Member
    Make a big pot of primal food and eat off of that for a few days. Then make another one. That's how I get myself back on the rail.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry about it. Sugar's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's necessary for combating the stresses of raising kids in a modern western setting. Have meals that are primal, but don't beat yourself up over desserts or treats.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast