Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gym fails! page

BeatlesFan is offline Member

Cool Gym fails!

Primal Fuel
    All right I was in the gym today, got a great work out in Anyways I am just amazed at all the failures I observe in the gym. And this is coming from someone who is still somewhat noobish when it comes to weightlifting. I am definintely not anywhere close to the stronger guys in the gym, but I do not care at all. I work hard and comepete only against myself. To me, form is the most important thing. I even hired a personal trainer for a couple of session to critique my form and I learned a TON, it was a great desicion. I'd just like to recount some of the failures I see in the gym and I hope that you guys will add your own.
    First of all the obvious, bro curls. Uhhh hate seeing these. Ripped dude gets like an 85 lber and just starts jerking the hell out his entire upper body to get the weight to the top and then more or less lets it free fall back down. smh.
    Today I witnessed probably the worst lat pull downs in the history of man kind. Guy comes up and loads up probably 3/4 the stack. Proceeds to yank down on the bar violently, ass comes probably 6 inches off the chair, and he finishes with it behind his neck. The he lets the weight free fall as the bar goes up, and catches it which causes his ass to raise again, and repeat. It was brutal to watch.
    And lastly just simple squatting not even going past 45 degrees. At most maybe 30 degrees. Lol and a lot of people recommend to go past parallel.
    I know I shouldn't care but it is very cringe worthy

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    The squat fail you describe is very very very common. I'd say its the norm actually.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I've yet to see a single correct squat performed in the gym.

Oh saw a guy doing Tae Bo or something with dumbbells. Bicep curls with the smith machine (wtf?).
    Last edited by Wanderlust; 10-16-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    That's all pretty normal behaviour. I like watching two bros work a bench press together, with one on top "spotting" (pulling) and the one on the bottom pushing. I also sometimes enjoy it when women pick up dumbbells lighter than their own purses and proceed to wave them semi-randomly in the air for a while. I will say that lots of those guys have been going to the gym all their lives, and just because they are not doing SS to the letter doesn't mean they are not a lot stronger than you, doing what they're doing. Last time I was at the gym I was benching and feeling kinda smug and awesome, then the guy next to me loaded up 315 on bench and cranked a proper few sets of 5. I'll never bench 315.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    What I see the most at my gym is a complete lack of effort. Guys shooting the breeze with a dumbbell in each hand and paying zero attention to what they are doing.

I workout mid morning and there are a lot of senior citizens there at that time. They will sit on a piece of equipment and lift almost no weight at all. People have convinced them that they are so brittle that the slightest bit of effort will somehow destroy them. It is really sad.

I don't get the bicep curls on the smith though, it onlys goes up when a curl needs to move laterally as well.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    I don't get the bicep curls on the smith though, it onlys goes up when a curl needs to move laterally as well.
    Better for the knees that way!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

LOL that wouldn't shock me to hear. Although I have educated my yoga teacher on weightlifting. She asked how I could be so flexible since I lift weights. Lots of faulty info running around.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I also sometimes enjoy it when women pick up dumbbells lighter than their own purses and proceed to wave them semi-randomly in the air for a while.
    This made me literally LOL.
    I've thought about taking my phone to the gym just so I can take a picture of some of the epic fails when they happen, but haven't yet. Today's highlights include a couple frat boys curling in the squat rack (unfortunately, commonplace) and some guy using a smith machine to do a bent over tricep row (he moved a bench up parallel to the bar on it).
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    I saw a guy recently in the squat rack, squatting 225 while standing on an inverted bosu (round side down). He was wobbling all over the place, and it looked just downright dangerous. I was thinking I may be a nurse, but dammit, I'm on my lunch break!! He also did heavy OHP on the same inverted bosu and continued to wobble precariously. I did my best to ignore him. Yet it was like a trainwreck, where you just can't not look.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast