Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Gym fails! page 6

usarmyretired is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    as for Gym fails?
    There's a popular chain gym (I have a friend with a membership that allows him unlimited guests) that has pizza parties, doughnut mornings, and always gives out tootsie rolls (I think there's more junk food than just that, but I'm not looking it up, dangit!)... you're not allowed to grunt while lifting or throw weights down... and the dumbbells only go up to 60lbs. I've seen all kinds of specific fails at that gym, I just can't think of any of them right now.
    Ugh, I think I'm a member of that gym chain, you described it to a "T".

I will have to say though, I've been going to the gym on and off for 25 years and I've never seen so many people doing 'functional' exercises (pull-ups, push-ups, kettle bell swings, lunges, etc). There has absolutely been a shift away from 'machine centric' exercise.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usarmyretired View Post

I will have to say though, I've been going to the gym on and off for 25 years and I've never seen so many people doing 'functional' exercises (pull-ups, push-ups, kettle bell swings, lunges, etc). There has absolutely been a shift away from 'machine centric' exercise.
    I agree that in the last couple of years I've seen a shift away from some of the machines and towards more compound ("functional" (I don't like the word functional, really)) exercises, but there's still plenty of dumb stuff happening. I always want to interrupt people who are doing things that will hurt their shoulders, but rarely do...

BONZ is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I'll make sure to order my gym burka immediately.
    Gyms frequented by locals here in the Middle East aren't coed.... and the ladies still rock burqawear.... Who needs a sauna? You want to see some real comedy.... drop in the metropolitan Middle East, to a dudes gym, pull up a chair and a bucket of (halal, non-pork) jerky and laugh your ass off. Steroids are redily available in this part of the world, and you can tell who does focused injections and isolations. Otherwise there are some brickhouse dudes walking around who are well proportioned and may actually be clean. But then..... there are the other..... guys who buy gym memberships because that's just what you do, pudgy little (or super large) Arab guys who never have a moment in the gym when there thumb isn't in the act of sending a text. Pretty funny, provided they're not absobing with their massiveness a piece of gear you happen to need at the time.
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456