Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Gym fails! page 4

BONZ is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The best, and by that I mean worst, one I've seen yet.... This kid (more on this guy later) grabbed one croch high box, one ankle high box, and proceeded to fashion himself a throne inside the Smith machine. Sitting on the high box, with the balls of his feet on the low box, he carefully placed a towel over his knees with a couple of 35's on the bar and did calf raises. All I could say was "really, dude?" Theres a WHOLE ridiculous machine in the back JUST FOR CALF RAISES..... but you had to make your own.... This dude is usually in the locker room the same time I'm changing.... and he's got this "Bill Nye the Science Guy" routine he does. In his locker, mind you, he spends 5 to 10 minutes creating, sipping, and remixing these concoctions of what I can only imagine are a mix of whey, NO Xplode, Methamphetamine, and that Ronnie Colman sample shit that GNC sends you whenever you buy something online. The other day I walk in.... and the guys is, in between sips of his Megalobangolo-die-M$#@%%F%$^'er-die drank, making a peanut butter-jelly sandwhich..... IN HIS LOCKER!!!!! All I hear is "chomp-chomp-sluuuurp-sluuurp-chomp"
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katiepotato View Post
    It's not so much girls in makeup that bother me - it's the ones who have co-ordinated every last detail of their (designer) workout gear, have so much makeup on that if you hit them on the back of the head it would fall off like a mask, and spend more time preening in front of the mirror/getting in the way than actually working out...

I'm four weeks into a 5X5 program and am training with my hubby. I am regularly the only girl in the freeweights area, some of the guys look at me like I'm a freak, but it's when I get on the pullup machine that it really seems to bother people!
    I gotta tell my story about hiking the Hurricane Deck trail several years ago. It's a 20 mile loop or so in the wilderness. We did it as a day hike. There's not much water and it's super strenuous. There are all these people on the hike including an older lady with perfect make-up and gold earrings and the works (but real hiking clothes) and a there's also a former US Marine. Well, the Marine spends the whole time complaining loudly that "It's not my muscles, my muscles are fine. It's my wind. I can't get my wind." After hours of listening to this bull-oney, we're all rolling our eyes. Meanwhile, the lady checks here make-up at ever rest stop and reapplies if necessary. That lady rocked the hike. She looked as good at the end as at the beginning. She never got tired. Finally the Marine's girlfriend turned to him and yelled, "It's not your wind, it's your cardiovascular fitness and you don't have any!" That was the end of that relationship! The Marine had to be held by the arm and helped to finish the hike. I finished the hike with a big bloody gash after a dog bit me. F-in wimpy Marines.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I go to Crossfit looking schleppy, but there are definitely girls that have great outfits and make up on (yeah, it sweats off), I assume they are coming from work. And you know what, if my body was like their's, I'd be at Lululemon buying cute outfits to show off my 6-pack too.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

CE402 is offline Senior Member

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    saw this a while ago. freaking awesome!

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    Ya I love that Planet Fitness response video! The PF model to me sums up a lot of what is wrong in America. Can't handle someone grunting?? Give me a effing break and grow up. Also they give out bagels... FREAKIN BAGELS. Are you serious ??

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity J View Post
    I try not to be critical of what I see in the gym since everyone's goals are different and there is always more to learn in terms of the most effective way to exercise.
    Agreed. I used to have a kind of haughty attitude when I'd see people doing exercises that I thought were pointless or stupid. But now I more often thing along the lines of what you said. I still cringe at poor form though.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I gotta tell my story about hiking the Hurricane Deck trail several years ago. It's a 20 mile loop or so in the wilderness. We did it as a day hike. There's not much water and it's super strenuous. There are all these people on the hike including an older lady with perfect make-up and gold earrings and the works (but real hiking clothes) and a there's also a former US Marine. Well, the Marine spends the whole time complaining loudly that "It's not my muscles, my muscles are fine. It's my wind. I can't get my wind." After hours of listening to this bull-oney, we're all rolling our eyes. Meanwhile, the lady checks here make-up at ever rest stop and reapplies if necessary. That lady rocked the hike. She looked as good at the end as at the beginning. She never got tired. Finally the Marine's girlfriend turned to him and yelled, "It's not your wind, it's your cardiovascular fitness and you don't have any!" That was the end of that relationship! The Marine had to be held by the arm and helped to finish the hike. I finished the hike with a big bloody gash after a dog bit me. F-in wimpy Marines.
    Sounds like my mother-in-law.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I sometimes get a giggle out of stuff people do at the gym but mostly ignore it unless it's really dangerous or really obnoxious and/or intrusive.
    -
    There's one dude who does shrugs with huge dumbbells who puffs like a steam train on every rep. Seriously, I've begin to wonder if he had a coal-fired boiler or something.

Then there's the guy the other evening with some of the worst deadlift form I've ever seen. I was scared his vertebrae were going to pop and they'd be taking him out on a backboard.

Otherwise, yes, I think the elliptical bunnies and the "all you man!" bros are ridiculous, but some of them probably talk in similar ways about the muscular chick in the squat rack, so I try to keep that in mind even when I'm suppressing my giggles so that I don't drop the bar.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosejuggler View Post
    Constant gym fails - the bros 'spotting' each other, the chunky guys working tiny muscles in isolation and wondering why they aren't ripped, the chicks on the treadmill who come in with a full face of makeup.
    Hey! I take offense to this....I come to the gym immediately after work, so I don't have time to cleanse my face of makeup.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast