Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gym fails! page 2

emerson is offline Member
    [QUOTE=Greensprout;980727]I saw a guy recently in the squat rack, squatting 225 while standing on an inverted bosu (round side down).

225 squatting to depth? Just saying mad props to that individual. I wouldn't ever do the circus type shit but come-on, some dumb stuff just looks cool; like a 50 year old full beard full belly biker flying down the freeway at 70 with one foot on the seat and no hands (for real I've seen that) doing like an airplane pose from the Titanic movie.

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post

225 squatting to depth?
    Not quite to parallel, as I recall, though close. Certainly strong, rather stupid, IMO.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    My personal one almost cost me my gym membership, back when I went to one. I was squatting a new record when this asshat waltzes up to me and tries to take the barbell off my back. When I clocked him in the jaw with it by standing up suddenly, he looked put out and said "I just wanted to help so I could rack up for benching." "The bench press set up is over there. I'm in the squat rack. Get lost or I'll let you offload my barbell from your foot."
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    I second the chicks randomly waving the 2kg dumbbells around. I saw one girl on Sunday whose 2kg bicep curls where so hopeless awful, I very very nearly said something to her. She looked bloody miserable, no wonder.

Constant gym fails - the bros 'spotting' each other, the chunky guys working tiny muscles in isolation and wondering why they aren't ripped, the chicks on the treadmill who come in with a full face of makeup.

And gym sads: The chick actually doing some decent weight work who is huddled in the corner by herself, presumably because she's intimidated/doesn't want to be stared at by all the bros
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    There are TONS of these. I hate seeing all the crap that goes on in the gym, but especially the bad things that trainers have clients do. I'll never understand taking some frail old overweight lady who clearly is a novice and having them do complex moves with a high risk of injury. Start with the basics!

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Is it fail to do partial movements such as quarter squats and rack pulls if they actually do increase strength and/or keeps you from getting injured? Is it fail to do biceps curls in a smith machine if they are adding inches to your arms? In my opinion, "Fail" is when you're spinning your wheels in the gym or getting injured.

You pretty much need a person's training journal to see if he is doing it right. If there's progression (and no missing entries because of injuries) then obviously he's on the right track.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    OK, I feel like an ass at Cross Fit because I am a complete moron when it comes to anything more complex than a push up or simple squat. Yesterday we did some kind of lift with a kettle bell and then you squat. There was literally so much for me to think about that I am pretty damn sure 90% of the squats were not anywhere near parallel. Thinking about what my back was doing, the grip, trying not to whack myself in the crotch....

There is a learning curve to this stuff, and at least these people got off their couches. Seriously, the woman that gets on the treadmill in make up and lifts 2 lb weights is STILL better off than the one on her couch.

My local paper had an article yesterday on fit people. 8 fit people. The comments took me aback, mainly that "you can't work, have kids and work out". So many people don't even try. So I give props to all the people inadvertantly half assing it. They will likely learn.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I stopped by the gym today in search of paperwork. I am not a member and have never been inside. I was absolutely shocked at all the people on treadmills and other machines. It was a gorgeous sunny hot day! We're by the beach with miles of trails and bike paths right there, plus the beach itself. It was about 20 degrees hotter inside the gym than outside and it was about 80 degrees outside.

And I'm with ya, Magnolia. I take this exercise class and some of these things they have us do are so complicated it takes me half the round before I've finally figured out what I'm supposed to do with all my limbs and in what order.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    My local paper had an article yesterday on fit people. 8 fit people. The comments took me aback, mainly that "you can't work, have kids and work out". So many people don't even try. So I give props to all the people inadvertantly half assing it. They will likely learn.
    The idea that you have to work out 5 or 6 hours a week to be in good physical condition is so prevalent that many people do give up. I think that is where books like Body By Science can do so much good for people. I know if I had to be at the gym an hour a day 5 days a week I would likely stab myself with a fork.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosejuggler View Post
    And gym sads: The chick actually doing some decent weight work who is huddled in the corner by herself, presumably because she's intimidated/doesn't want to be stared at by all the bros
    Oh, erm... that used to be me... it's not so much that I was intimidated as I didn't want to be bothered. In high school I was the only girl in the weight room with all the football players. I would do handstand pushups and bodyweight stuff in the corner (on the mats), then hit the machines - I could bench my body weight +10lbs when I was in high school!

as for Gym fails?
    There's a popular chain gym (I have a friend with a membership that allows him unlimited guests) that has pizza parties, doughnut mornings, and always gives out tootsie rolls (I think there's more junk food than just that, but I'm not looking it up, dangit!)... you're not allowed to grunt while lifting or throw weights down... and the dumbbells only go up to 60lbs. I've seen all kinds of specific fails at that gym, I just can't think of any of them right now.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast