Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade ricotta ... And leftover whey? page

Zanna is offline Senior Member

Homemade ricotta ... And leftover whey?

Primal Fuel
    So I made my 1st batch of homemade ricotta this weekend for an eggplant lasagna. Super easy and it was so delicious.
    Double batch quantities here to result in two cups of ricotta.

6 cups whole milk
    2 cups heavy cream
    1 tsp salt

Combine in pot, bring to 190 degrees F or to a very gentle simmer, stirring all the while to keep from scalding. Once at the right temp (and this is quick), remove from heat and add 6 teaspoons lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes. Place two to three layers of cheesecloth in a strainer over a deep bowl, and pour the milk/cream/lemon juice mix into the cheese cloth. Let sit for one hour for soft curds, two hours for a more cream cheese texture.

It is delicious - everyone said it was the best lasagna they'd had - you could definitely taste the difference in the ricotta. I used it after straining for 90 minutes and it had a hint of lemony flavor from the lemon juice. If. I waited two hours, it would be perfect for cheesecake.

This was so easy to do but here is my question . . . What to do with all of the whey left over? I know I should something but I am not sure what. Does anyone have ideas?

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Nourishing Traditions Cookbook uses the whey in lacto-fermenting vegetables and in condiments to keep them fresher longer (mayo, ketchup etc). I give it to my chickens when I think of it. Thanks for the recipe.

camel is offline Senior Member
    Make more cheese!!!
    How To Make Great Ricotta Cheese From Whey

Or, drink it in smoothies, for added protein. Some people add it to recipes of baked goods in olace of the liquid for addded nutrition, but I don't eat that stuff.
    Last edited by camel; 10-17-2012 at 09:51 AM.

camel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferti View Post
    Nourishing Traditions Cookbook uses the whey in lacto-fermenting vegetables and in condiments to keep them fresher longer (mayo, ketchup etc). I give it to my chickens when I think of it. Thanks for the recipe.
    I think that the good bacteria is not alive in cooked whey, so it would not have the fermenting ability anymore.

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I think that the good bacteria is not alive in cooked whey, so it would not have the fermenting ability anymore.
    Wasn't thinking about it being cooked, only thought about whey. Very right.

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    I've never attempted to make my own cheese. I always thought it would be too hard.

And if its as good as it sounds, I'll probably just attack it with a spoon

Terez is offline Junior Member
    Hi Zanna,

Thanks so much for the recipe! When you say:
    add 6 teaspoons lemon juice and let sit
    Do you stir the lemon juice into the whole mixture and let it sit, or do you literally just add it and wait (without stirring)?

Editing to add:
    When you say:
    Double batch quantities here to result in two cups of ricotta.
    Do you mean the recipe you're giving yields one cup of ricotta, and to double it if we want two cups.

In other words: Eight cups of milk and cream yields one cup of ricotta???

Terez
    Last edited by Terez; 10-17-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: to ask about quantities

Quote Originally Posted by Terez View Post
    Hi Zanna,

Thanks so much for the recipe! When you say: Do you stir the lemon juice into the whole mixture and let it sit, or do you literally just add it and wait (without stirring)?

Yes, you add the lemon juice and gently stir until incorporated. Very gently stir it, you don't want to re-integrate the curds and whey that separated during the cooking.

Editing to add:
    When you say: Do you mean the recipe you're giving yields one cup of ricotta, and to double it if we want two cups.

In other words: Eight cups of milk and cream yields one cup of ricotta???

Terez
    My recipe is doubled, to get 2 cups yield of ricotta. Original recipe called for 3 cups whole milk, 1 cup cream and 3 tablespoons lemon juice. I needed to double it to have enough for lasagna and an appetizer.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    That's a great idea - make more cheese!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Interesting. Did you use citric acid? I have a whole bottle, unopened, that I could use. I'm assuming you used lemon juice because you didn't have powdered citric acid?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast