So I made my 1st batch of homemade ricotta this weekend for an eggplant lasagna. Super easy and it was so delicious.
Double batch quantities here to result in two cups of ricotta.

6 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp salt

Combine in pot, bring to 190 degrees F or to a very gentle simmer, stirring all the while to keep from scalding. Once at the right temp (and this is quick), remove from heat and add 6 teaspoons lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes. Place two to three layers of cheesecloth in a strainer over a deep bowl, and pour the milk/cream/lemon juice mix into the cheese cloth. Let sit for one hour for soft curds, two hours for a more cream cheese texture.

It is delicious - everyone said it was the best lasagna they'd had - you could definitely taste the difference in the ricotta. I used it after straining for 90 minutes and it had a hint of lemony flavor from the lemon juice. If. I waited two hours, it would be perfect for cheesecake.

This was so easy to do but here is my question . . . What to do with all of the whey left over? I know I should something but I am not sure what. Does anyone have ideas?