Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade ricotta ... And leftover whey? page 2

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    you can make really nice leek and potato soup with it, if you eat potatoes. but i am sure you could add it to other soups like pumpkin soup. you could also make gjetost. i googled a recipe here Homemade Gjetost Recipe

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferti View Post
    Nourishing Traditions Cookbook uses the whey in lacto-fermenting vegetables and in condiments to keep them fresher longer (mayo, ketchup etc). I give it to my chickens when I think of it. Thanks for the recipe.
    I do like to use whey in mayonnaise to make it keep longer, but I don't like sauerkraut with whey in it - much prefer the flavour of it made straight, with salt only. The 2 times I've tried the Nourishing Traditions method the kraut had a peculiar funky taste which I didn't like.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Soup is probably the best use, or if you need more liquid in a smoothie. If you are very ambitious freeze it in ice cube trays and use those ice cubes in smoothies. Use it as cooking water for rice if you eat any. But I have trouble finding ways to use it up (and don't have pets), so I pour it on my garden so it doesn't go completely to waste.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Interesting. Did you use citric acid? I have a whole bottle, unopened, that I could use. I'm assuming you used lemon juice because you didn't have powdered citric acid?
    Hi Choco - I don't have citric acid, but I prefer to use lemon juice anyway. And that's what the recipe called for

ETA . . . I think you could use the citric acid if that's what you have. You can use it in other recipes that call for an acid, like making tomato sauce to be canned in a water bath.
    Last edited by Zanna; 10-19-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I just had a great idea! I used whey to make Crio Bru brewed chocolate, cowboy coffee style (simmered on the stove)

Terez is offline Junior Member
    Hi Zanna,

Were you able to make more ricotta from the leftover whey? From what I've read, making ricotta calls for sweet whey but the result of making ricotta is "acid" whey (from the lemon).

I'm asking because I had some raw milk that I thought was turning so I made -- or, rather, tried to make -- ricotta. It's draining now but I have just a very little bit of cheese and a WHOLE lot of whey. Acid whey.

I'm reluctant to go through the process of making ricotta from the whey if it's the wrong kind of whey.

Pamsc, did you use "acid" whey to make your Crio Bru?

Thanks!
    Terez

Terez is offline Junior Member
    I just spent some time with my friend Google and learned that no, we can't make more Ricotta from acid whey. But yes, there are uses -- including using it instead of water in making bone broth. Since I roasted a chicken for tonight's supper, I'm adding the frame to the whey to make a n enriched stock.

Oh, and my dog got a treat of whey with his supper tonight too. : )

My ricotta is pretty dry and crumbly, unfortunately. But I know what to try doing differently next time.

Terez

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12