Thread: For those who struggled going Primal page

judoka is offline Member

For those who struggled going Primal

Primal Fuel
    I need your advice. My wife has recently decided to give it a red hot go. I've been primal for a long time now, but I was already fairly healthy and low carb to begin with, so I didn't get any "carb flu" or other adverse effects. My wife on the other hand is coming to primal after a long period of a very high carb diet with a crap tonne of sugar in the form of chocolate/ice cream/baked goods. I want to support her the best way I can, and the best way to start is knowing what to expect. She's been primal for about a week now and already gotten a couple of headaches (although I'm not sure if that is due to a really bad toothache she has right now or the diet) and she is crabby here and there too.

What else can I expect from her? Believe it or not she gave me her debit card and all her cash so I'm the one doing the shopping and she doesn't have access to any of the bad stuff. Is there a certain time when it suddenly gets easier, or on the flipside is there a time when she will just want sugar so bad that world war 3 will happen? Any advice would be great guys.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    She doesn't have to go low carb right off the bat. Lots of GOOD carby foods will help her transition. Bananas, sweet potatoes, various root veggies and fruits. It's the harvest season after all. Perfect time for enjoying these seasonal carbs.

judoka is offline Member
    Ah, I should have clarified a bit further. She's still eating potato, sweet potato, a bit of rice and that sort of thing, but ditching all the flour based stuff is still a very large drop in carbs. Also, it's spring here in Oz

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka View Post
    I need your advice. My wife has recently decided to give it a red hot go.
    Ha! I knew you were an Aussie
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    good luck to your wife. As much as I have tried to get my DH on board, its just not happening.
    Your wife could go through a few more fun and games before things settle down. These could include more headaches, really bad cellulite on arms, acne, very moody, bad breath, fatigue, cramps ..... however she may not experience anything other than a few headaches etc....
    If you have a wee bit of dark chocolate, nuts and dried fruit on hand for the times when she really needs a sugar fix - these worked well for me. I also found that having a tin of tuna in my handbag, or a boiled egg, or a carrot - helped me get over those really bad craving times, especially when I was out and about.
    You will get into your own rhythm and work out what works and what doesn't. All the very very best
    G
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    She doesn't have to go low carb right off the bat. Lots of GOOD carby foods will help her transition. Bananas, sweet potatoes, various root veggies and fruits. It's the harvest season after all. Perfect time for enjoying these seasonal carbs.
    Exactly. Look to have a 'high carb' primal diet as she transitions. And hammer the fruit and nuts. There's time enough later to make further adjustments, they dont' all have to happen at once.

One of our favourites is refried potatoes (previously boiled, sliced up and fried in Ghee).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right