Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you drain beef mince fat? page

HERC0 is offline Member

Do you drain beef mince fat?

Primal Fuel
    I'm cooking some mince to make bolognese with (homemade, all-natural sauce of course, and no spaghetti!) and was wondering if I should drain the fat? Cos we all like fat, right?

Would it be okay to just add the sauce and keep cooking? Initial thoughts are that it can only add to the flavour!

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I always keep/use the fat. Sometimes I drain off some of it if I think it'll be too much for the recipe I'm making and use it next time I am cooking a leaner minced meat (ie: turkey, chicken, bison).

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I drain the fat right into my gaping pie hole. No seriously, I mix in the tomato sauce and leave all the fat in and it tastes great.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    We add extra fat to the mince....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    ^ we do the same....actually I use 75/25 so there is little need for any extra.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I don't drain mine. I do what Neckhammer does, actually. My grass-fed ground beef seems lean so I use a couple of tablespoons of the tallow/marrow combo I get from making beef bone broth, and sauté onions and garlic in that. Then add beef and brown. Sometimes I add bone broth and boil down a bit before adding tomato sauce. It's tasty.

MarieD is offline Junior Member
    Grassfed= leave fat in or drain a little off for later use (good as gold - can't waste)
    Grocery store = Drain and rinse (mince) and throw it out

HERC0 is offline Member
    Well last night I cooked some bolognese for tonight, and I tried leaving the fat in and just added the tomato sauce. However, I noticed that even after well over an hour on simmer the sauce never seemed to thicken? It stayed very runny but I like a thick sauce, so is it the fat that's doing that? Any way to thicken it, and stop it from happening in future?

Quote Originally Posted by MarieD View Post
    Grassfed= leave fat in or drain a little off for later use (good as gold - can't waste)
    How much damage will the fat from the grocery mince really do to me?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HERC0 View Post
    How much damage will the fat from the grocery mince really do to me?
    all the bad stuff in conventional meat bought at most grocery stores is in the fat. it's not going to kill you or anything, it's just not as clean and well balanced (omega ratio) as grassfed beef. i usually go with the leanest possible conventional beef when making a chili or something, then try for fattier options of grassfed when i have the money to spend.

as for your sauce, fat is very liquid when hot. take that sauce off the heat for a while and it will likely start to thicken up a bit.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieD View Post
    I could see draining it, but rinsing it seems a bit ridiculous and reminds me of crazy low-fat diet stuff. A little residual conventional beef fat is not going to make you keel over and die.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast