Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why don't French have much acne? page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

Why don't French have much acne?

Shop Now
    Everytime I travel to Paris I notice how perfect their skin is. I know they don't use a lot of the harsh products that we use here.

I used to have bad acne, took accutane (big mistake for my body) but it did clear up everything. I now am struggling again with some breakouts and am using glycolic pads, Obagi products and Retin-a from my dermatologist. It helps but doesnt seem to cure.

Is it better to use natural/no products or to stick with these products from the dermatologist? Obviously diet plays a huge role but I am really good with my diet at this point so not sure why we struggle with acne here in America. Share your stories and advice

wilberfan is online now Senior Member
    This reminds me of something that I've been wondering about: Would teenage Grok have had acne? I can't picture what the evolutionary advantage of it would be. Unless it was a byproduct of some other valuable process.
    Vegan from 1993 until Oct 16, 2010. "D'oh!!"

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    From what I understand, the French take very good care of their skin. Skin products, dermatologists, all that. It helps that their health system allows them dermatologist visits, and people take advantage of that. As a woman, I can tell you that we've known for years that French women have gorgeous skin, wear minimal makeup, and are generally envied worldwide :P
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I don't know how old you are. As a teen, you may just have to live with it for a while.

If you had improvement from antibiotics, it's likely a problem stemming from your gut bacteria. How's your probiotic intake?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I don't know how old you are. As a teen, you may just have to live with it for a while.

If you had improvement from antibiotics, it's likely a problem stemming from your gut bacteria. How's your probiotic intake?
    I am 26 now and take daily probiotics. I have had gut issues since accutane but when I was pretty sick, and was vegan, that was when my skin was FLAWLESS.

French dont use a lot of scrubs and products that we use here. They use lots of creams, wash their face with only water and use alot of oils.

I can't seem to figure out a link here but I would like to understand what works and what doesn't

Kelmar is offline Senior Member
    Won't necessarily work for you but I wash my face with just water or baking soda/water, then use a toner of 1 part apple cider vinegar to 3 parts water, then use an oil blend of 1 part castor oil and 3 part sunflower oil (high quality), all natural products and I very very rarely have any breakouts.

Hope you find something that works for you!

katiethepiano is offline Senior Member
    I use to suffer from acne that was very resistant to medication, both topical and internal. I was on Accutane, which was awful, and have been on all sorts of antibiotics, Retin-A topical creams, and gycolic peels.

I don't have much acne anymore, and when I do get it, it's because of too much dairy or chocolate, and is usually a spot or two on my back. It's no big deal and not anything like it use to be.

Here's why I improved: Apart from eating primal and removing dairy from my diet, I used only coconut oil and water to clean my face. No soap whatsoever. This made me feel uncomfortable at first, since I always thought that oil was what clogged my pores and gave me acne to begin with. After a few days, I already saw an improvement. The complete game-changer was when I added a very strong probiotic supplement (Ultimate Flora 50 billion cultures). After about a week of taking the probiotic, I had the clearest skin of my life and it continues to get better. I continue to eat probiotic foods and slowly heal my gut.

So why is this? Gut health and skin health are linked. Gut issues can manifest themselves in the form of acne. This was true for me and my husband, who had chronic acne on the insides of his thighs.

Now, what about the French? For one, the French eat a lot of probiotic foods, like fermented dairy, pickled veggies, fermented meats, and wine. Their diet is very high in gut-nourishing fat, as well as nutrient-rich organ meats (think pate) and bone broth (think French onion soup). Yes, they eat grains, so their diet isn't primal, but it's vastly removed from the modern diet of Americans, whose diet is deprived of bacteria and chock-full of gut-depleting processed foods.
    Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

Interesting information. I do eat chocolate every day, maybe its the sugar in my diet that makes me break out. I am already on a high probiotic (Klaire Labs- Therbiotic complete was recommended for me).

Has a diet pretty high in fat caused any problems? I can't seem to find the connection except that I might be over doing it with products right now and had been eating some sheep/goat cheese (although really not a lot maybe 1 oz a few times a week).

Dont eat wheat or any grains anymore either.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    acne was never really an issue for me, but my skin has gotten clearer and better since i stopped using cleanser on it. i use steam and a washcloth. coincidentally i no longer need moisturizer either.

i suspect it does have much to do with your gut and that may take some time to heal. in addition to the probiotics, add daily bone broth.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

katiethepiano is offline Senior Member
    Chocolate is a major acne trigger food for me and also gives me constipation if I eat it more than one day in a row. I want to deny that this happens, because I love chocolate. Because of this, chocolate now has this elevated status that it never had before; which is that is very special treat because I can't eat it that often.

I've experimented with fat intake, and my acne has never gotten worse with increased fat. Fat is very nourishing for the lining of the GI tract, and should improve skin health if anything. Try backing off the topicals a little at a time and add a little bit of coconut oil to moisturize your skin. I can say from experience that topicals never helped me in the long run. At first they would work, giving me a little bit of hope, then my acne would disagree with it and get worse.

You're on a good probiotic, so you're already on the right track! Avoid sugar as much as possible. Sugar will feed the bad candida yeasts that are in your system and irritate your gut. Right now, you want to crowd out the bad bacteria with the good.

Definitely try adding bone broth if you can. It's so good for so many things.
    Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast