Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need a drink - any options for us very carb sensitive types? page 3

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The link crashed my internet explorer.

We think of "carbs" as starches which break down into sugar. But alcohol is CH3CH2OH. Technically it's a carbohydrate, but smaller than a sugar.

Maybe you should just accept the carbs and go for something thick and satisfying like mead.
    5'0" female, 44 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 111 on sugar cheat. Currently fighting off sugar/candy cravings with bulletproof cocoa and a little rice.

I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and should tweak Primal to their own needs.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    I recommend the NorCal Margarita. I've become a big fan. It's better living through chemistry!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17472.html
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If you are just worried about carbs, any clear distilled spirit is best.

If you like flavored, I do two flavors with vodka. I skin and chop ginger and put it in a clean jar. Then I dump vodka on top of it. Though everything I've read say this should take a couple of days, I usually have ginger flavored vodka in a few hours. The other I do is lemon/citrus. Zest the lemon in strips, being careful not to include the white pithy stuff (bitter) between the peel and the lemon. Put those strips into a clean jar, cover with vodka, and a few hours later, you have lemon flavored vodka - this one gets better with time, but the ginger one can get too gingery for me.

I've tried berries and melons, but they don't work as well - they're better as an adult smoothie. I haven't tried black pepper yet, or cucumber, but they sound interesting. And before I leave this earth, I will figure out how to mimic the taste of Campari.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to make myself done ginger-infused gin. Thanks for the idea!
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Spirits have 0 carbs. However, most are made from wheat. If your trying to avoid wheat be careful. I must admit, I do know if the

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Spirits have 0 carbs. However, most are made from wheat. If your trying to avoid wheat be careful. I must admit, I do not know if the process of making the alcohol gets rid of the wheat side effects but I HAVE read stuff saying spirits (vodka and whiskey) made from wheat and grains should be avoided. Guess it depends on how hardcore you are.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If I have to switch to tequila (100% agave of course), I guess I'll just have to suffer through it.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I second the Makers Mark, over ice

or

NorCal Margarita - although I do make a slight adjustment to mine. I add a teensy bit of triple sec, because I like a little bit of sweetness.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    I drink scotch (neat) and am a big craft beer guy (yes, carbs and all :P)

But I can speak for the margarita. No sweetener in a margarita is just not good in my opinion. The lime juice just overpowers everything else. Get some really good wildflower honey and use that to sweeten, seriously a teaspoon of it is plenty and is only ~4 carbs total, and doesn't over-sweeten it at all. I like mine stiff so I do 2 oz tequila, 1 oz orange liqueur (triple sec/whatever), 1 oz lime juice, and a teaspoon of wildflower honey, shaken up with ice and poured on the rocks, with salt. Perfect margarita IMHO and not much sugar at all.
    -Chuck

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    I have stuck w/ mostly Rum since switching to Paleo. Made from cane sugar and prob high in calories, but I only drink a glass or three every few weeks so not too worried about it. I agree that tequila and vodka are also suitable "primal" alcohols.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast