Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need a drink - any options for us very carb sensitive types? page 2

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    ---Gin + tonic + lemon or lime juice. (not bad for an ex Margarita queen)
    ---Ice tea +Crown Royal Black (love love love it)
    ---Heated coconut milk + Cocoa powder + Peppermint Schnapps which has it's own sugar (7.4 carbs/sugar per 1 oz)(mmmmmm.....so perfect for those cold days)
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    Shots. Shots. Shots. Just take shots, pretend it's sophomore year of college all over again.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

jtrain_36 is offline Member
    A good whiskey, served neat, is one of the great pleasures in life

PrimalMama is online now Senior Member
    pick one (non-flavored/spiced):
    Whiskey, Vodka, Tequila, Gin, Rum

drink straight, on the rocks, with water or soda... add a lime/lemon/orange, olives, oinons, etc. if you like.

Some of the savory flavored vodkas are okay, but most of the sweet ones are pretty sugary. Spiced rum also usually has added sugars.
    Tonic has a crapload of sugar in it (even if it doesn't taste like it)... unless you're specifically going for an unsweetened brand, it has just as much sugar as cola, ginger ale, etc., and I'm guessing it's HFCS if you're in the US... but if it's something you love, it might be worth the occasional indulgence - that's your call.

If I go to a place that makes their own fresh-squeezed juices and has a good mixologist, I'll 20% the heck out of an awesome cocktail... but that's just me.

If you haven't been drinking much (especially if you're in ketosis), you might have a WAAAAY lower tolerance than you used to.

Also, part of what you should order depends on the social situation and your comfort level...
    I personally enjoy a glass of wine, whiskey on the rocks (canadian, burbon, scotch, irish, etc. - depends on what's available and my mood), and, less often, a craft beer or cider (I have friends who make this stuff).
    I will drink a vodka soda every now and then (if I don't have time to savor the flavors in my drink).
    I will drink 1 (but usually not more without finding out what it is) "who the f knows what's in this" shot if it's put in front of me by the owner/bartender...
    Last edited by PrimalMama; 10-16-2012 at 02:15 PM.

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Philosopher Dan!

That's great info. I didn't realize 80 proof is free of carbs. I love a dirty martini, so I think we found a winner.

I've not been much of a drinker for years (you might not believe that if you knew me in my advertising days in my 20s!) But, these days I can be quite happy with a good old fashioned chocolate buzz. Plus, I can still operate heavy equipment.

Thank you!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    If alcohol has calories, but is free from carbs, what are the calories? Just curious....

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

NeoSapien is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    If alcohol has calories, but is free from carbs, what are the calories? Just curious....
    Here you go.

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    I never understood how any alcohol can be carb-free. I thought there were basically 3 types of food energy: carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. It seems to me all food and drink should fall into one of those 3 categories. Alcohol is definitely not a fat or a protein so it seems like it must be some form of carbohydrate. Can anyone explain why it's not?

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSapien View Post
    The first article that comes up was incredibly interesting to me. Thanks for posting the link.

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnivara View Post
    I never understood how any alcohol can be carb-free. I thought there were basically 3 types of food energy: carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. It seems to me all food and drink should fall into one of those 3 categories. Alcohol is definitely not a fat or a protein so it seems like it must be some form of carbohydrate. Can anyone explain why it's not?
    It's none of the above. It's its own food group, so to speak. Your body will burn that before all else.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast