Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Serious Question Here! page 2

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    When I go on vacation (which is sadly NEVER) I eat everything in sight, food is as important to me as taking pictures of buildings or whatever the hell. More even.
    Yeah eating stuff you can't get at home is what vacations are all about.

Warm Stroopwafels and aged Gouda that's what I think of when I think of Netherlands!

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Well after being clean for a year, you will be lucky if you can tolerate it. I was clean for 3 months but recently had a birthday. I just had a taste of 3 desserts and paid for it that night and for 2 days after. Not fun.

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    Well after being clean for a year, you will be lucky if you can tolerate it. I was clean for 3 months but recently had a birthday. I just had a taste of 3 desserts and paid for it that night and for 2 days after. Not fun.
    I'm fearing this will happen to me too!

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    When I go on vacation (which is sadly NEVER) I eat everything in sight, food is as important to me as taking pictures of buildings or whatever the hell. More even.
    +1 except I do go on vacations quite often and a year without cheating would not be possible.

Only you can answer that question for yourself. For me personally new food experiences are a must in a new place, more important than picture taking
    I do splurge on holidays, trying to make sure the stuff is worth splurging on. I am not sure all of the mentioned Dutch delicacies are
    I actually buy things and throw them out (or feed to the fellow traveller) if I don't think the enjoyment is worth the discomfort afterwards. I don't really get sick during holidays because of eating more rubbish however excess sugar means that at some point I will turn into a mental person. I was in Thailand in March and spend one day in bed in "depressed, don't want to move" sort of mood - what a waste!
    Enjoy Netherlands - it's a fun place! I try to go there quite often (but not often enough!)

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    I was going to say... go for it if you can tolerate it - you might want to test it out at home before you leave - if you do have an adverse reaction, better to have it at home than in a strange land.

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Be careful around the gluten....but I'd say everything else should be fine, though you just won't feel as good as usual. Potatoes, cheese, wine! It's only for a time, and enjoying your vacation is important!
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

Euphoric is offline Senior Member
    OP: Enjoy what you can, and don't stress about falling behind less than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by MeatSleepRepeat View Post
    I thought the rule was that if you couldn't pronounce it, you shouldn't eat it. What are these?
    I believe this only applies to things that are more scientific sounding. The episode on bread of Good Eats comes to mind.

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad no one has said I shouldn't cheat lol. I'm flying out today and looking forward to all the goodies I'm going to sample.

I didn't do any 'pre-cheating' to adjust my body, so I'll just ease into it while I'm over there.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Friets met pinda saus = French fries with peanut sauce

Indonesian rijstafel = asian rice dish sort of thing

Ollieballen = plain donuts, sometimes with powdered sugar

Sorta.

Stroopwafels = flaky cookie with sugar syrup inside.

Just so we're all on the same page.

Make sure to bike or walk everywhere. Which is easy anyways after drinking so much coffee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12