Thread: Marinated Herring Salad page

pjgh is offline Senior Member

Marinated Herring Salad

Primal Fuel

I've travelled a lot around Scandinavia, the Baltic and out to Russia ... one thing that I always take home is the food!

I just seem to thrive on their cleaner, simpler version of what is very much British food, just done cleaner and simpler.

This salad is based around things you can find in your local supermarket.

Pickled herring, pickled beetroot, pickled gherkin, red onion, fennel, radish and dill. Eggs.

That's the ingredient list ... here's how ...

Shave some fennel. Use a veg peeler or a very sharp knife, but get some shavings of fennel and pop them on the plate.

Cut a couple of slices of red onion and immerse them in water - this will take the sting off them. After a good ten minutes, drain, collect the best bits, slice into reasonable sections and scatter over the plate.

Place a few pieces of pickled herring over, slices of radish, pickled gherkin and quarters of pickled beetroot.

Garnish with dill.

Slosh some olive oil over if you like ... I did. I also had a grind of black pepper over.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    There were jars of Rollmops in Lidl a while back. Not sure if it's a staple so I'll have to and look.

I have been eating their tinned herring in mustard sauce with my radishes, beetroot, spinach & mayonnaise, cucumber, gherkins etc.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Rollmops are good, but can be quite sour. Soak them first, cut up and you're on your way. There is the ubiquitous IKEA for jars of pickled herring, but Sainsbury also sell pickled herring alongside their tubs of rollmops.

Hmmm, that looks great! Thanks for the idea!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Looks awesome. Pickled herring - yum. Knowing me, I'd probably never get the salad made because I'd just scarf on the herring until I was dizzy.

It's always a danger when there's pickled herring about, JoanieL - with self-composure, you can get the salad assembled and place just a few pieces, eating it all dainty, like ... then massacre the rest of the tub!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Lol.

I was first introduced to pickled herring in sour cream and loved it even though now, I wouldn't think a child would like something like that. One day (many years later) I thought I'd try it without sour cream and found that it was even better. Who'd a thunk it?

roberbunch is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There were jars of Rollmops in Lidl a while back.