Thread: Should I be taking this? page

swimkid is offline Junior Member

Question Should I be taking this?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I take a multivitamin that includes several different things including this:

Evening Primrose capsules contain GLA- Gamma Linoleic Acid, which is an important Omega 6 fatty acid.

But I seem to keep reading that we're supposed to be trying to limit Omega 6's.. so why on earth would I be supplementing with it? Is there something I'm missing here? These aren't from a primal source or anything. I was just looking more into what I was taking since I've recently tried to shift to a primal lifestyle.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Any amount of Omega-6 you're getting from a tiny multivitamin is insignificant.

Seriously, don't worry about it. If you eat fish once in a while, you should be fine in terms of ratios. Omega-6 is not bad in any way, it's just that we get so little Omega-3's that's the problem.

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    If I were you I would stop taking the omega 6 vitamin immediately. There is no benefit since most people get not only enough but way too much. From what I hear taking multivitamins are pretty useless because you can't actually absorb much of the vitamins and nutrients from a pill. Taking excessive supplements of one type of vitamin can actually decrease your absorption of other vitamins, especially too much calcium can block magnesium and other vitamin absorption. It is better to just eat a diversity of fruits and vegetables to get enough vitamins. If you are dead set on taking a vitamin then take it with a meal that includes some healthy fat of some sort like avocado or coconut oil.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    The amount you are getting is probably low enough that the worry isn't too great. However, we get so much already (even us dedicated primals) that if you still want to take a daily multi, you might do slightly better to locate one without the omega-6. We do need SOME omega-6 to stay healthy, but I bet you get enough from diet already that you won't need any extra help.

I tend to think multis are kind of pointless though. Supplements are not really necessary unless you have a certain medical condition or are not getting enough of a certain nutrient in your diet. And in those cases, you can locate a more specific supplement for your personal needs, usually one that is specific to what you may have a shortage of.

Well, the problem is I don't really eat many vegetables. I'm trying to get better and add them in, but it's still a struggle. I did start eating mixed green/spinach salad almost every day, but veggies a lot of them really do taste really bitter and leave a terrible aftertaste in my mouth, especially raw veggies. Blech. If I cook them and sneak them in sauces or casserole type stuff I can get away with more. I think I'm probably a supertaster, I pretty much hate most of the things they reference.Supertaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am trying to decide what would be most helpful. I get pretty good quality vitamins that contains no yeast, soy protein, milk/dairy, corn, sodium, sugar, starch, artificial coloring, preservatives or flavoring, most of the ingredients are organic and they put things in the most bio-available form possible.

I also have a living fruit and veggie powder that also has probiotics, trace minerals, enzymes, and power greens that I would put in smoothies sometimes. I'm starting to think both is overkill... especially seeing how you guys seem to have responded that vitamins aren't really all that necessary. I just don't think I get enough variety in my diet, obviously eating real food is best, but why stress about eating food that is awful?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    My advice is to cook your vegetables. A lot of vegetables do benefit from cooking, both taste-wise and nutrient-wise.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Do like I do (because I'm lazy more often than not). I also eat only one meal a day, but you can spread this out.

Here's an example:

Cook 1 lb of the meat of your choice, could be ground meat, a steak, pork chops, whatever you want. At the same time, cook an omlete (6-7 eggs for me) in a tablespoon of coconut oil. Fill the omelet with several cups of various greens. The greens will take on the egg flavor as the eggs cook, and will cook down in size so much that you can almost put in as much as you want! Then, top omelet with meat.

Bingo bango, for those that don't like to eat tons of veggies, this is a great option. Just make sure you use a good variety of greens to ensure a wide range of nutrients. Good greens are mustard greens, kale, turnip greens, spinach, chard, radish greens... You can also toss in some common salad greens like arugula because they cook up pretty well despite that most people eat them raw.

I don't eat like this every day, but when I do, I find it a quick, easy, and effective way to get some veggies into my diet.

Have you also considered the possibility of eating some fermented veggies such as sauerkraut, pickled okra, kimchi, ect.? These are perfectly legitimate veggie choices and can also add some great probiotics to the diet.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 10-16-2012 at 01:07 PM.

yeah, I'm not a big fan of eggs either. I can occasionally eat them, but if I eat too many or too many days in a row I'm gagging on them trying to choke them down. :/ I've tried some fermented veggies, so far no luck.

This is why I'm seriously just like, ok, it's not ideal but maybe I'll just take this living fruits and veggies supplement, and eat as much veggies as I can, and not stress about it. I have been trying a lot of new things, even more than once to see if I get used to eating new stuff, and I have added a few really good things. Like salad. I'd literally never eaten a salad up until about a few months ago in all my life. Added a few more veggies, and a few more fruits. Hopefully as I keep going I'll be able to add more things in, but even though it's not ideal, at least it's not an ordeal trying to gag down food I hate. That's when I get frustrated and go f-this I'm eating some pizza and cookies and cake and pie and omg now I feel like I'm hungover from all this nasty food!! At the end of the day, it has to work for me, and I'm still better off than eating SAD.

You sound like a recovering version of my roommate. Poor guy actually admitted that beyond "tomato sauce" he hasn't eaten a single vegetable since he moved out of home four or five years ago.

Don't worry, you'll get there! It just takes time...