Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just how important are calories, anyway? page

Kata is offline Senior Member

Just how important are calories, anyway?

Shop Now
    I know, I know. Calories are less important than the quality of nutrients. BUT. I've been tracking my food intake for a few days now, just out of curiosity, and I've never gone over 1600 calories in a day. The stuff I've tracked is a good representation of how I eat the majority of the time. I don't feel hungry or exhausted. I'm wondering if this is too few. I'm 6'0 and 178lbs, fairly active. Shouldn't it take more than 1600 calories a day to keep me going? I'm tempted to take a "if it ain't broke" approach, but maybe you know something I don't.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    If you have energy, and aren't losing weight (or you are losing weight but that's your goal) then it sounds like there's no problem to me.

Lots of women report needing far fewer calories eating primally. Not men though for some reason.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Losing weight is part of my goal. The first 23 lbs came off so fast, people were joking that I had a tapeworm. I've kinda leveled out since then and haven't lost any more, but I'm still eating the same. I guess that means my body likes being this size, which is fine by me. I just want to be sure that I'm not screwing myself in the long run, and that it's healthy to eat so few calories for someone my size. Thanks for the input!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    Losing weight is part of my goal. The first 23 lbs came off so fast, people were joking that I had a tapeworm. I've kinda leveled out since then and haven't lost any more, but I'm still eating the same. I guess that means my body likes being this size, which is fine by me. I just want to be sure that I'm not screwing myself in the long run, and that it's healthy to eat so few calories for someone my size. Thanks for the input!
    Absolutely.

Thinner people do have a lower BEE (base energy expenditure) so the more weight you lose, the lower your maintenance calories are. That's the reason why you plateau out.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

I guess I was still thinking along the lines of CW's 2,000 calories a day rule. Shame on me!

kmc
    kmc is offline Member
    If you're not hungry, not angry/overly anxious, and still able to perform all your necessary tasks each day easily, you're probably not eating too little.

The body is phenomenally good at letting you know when your intake is out of whack, so listen to it! If you decide adding muscle is a priority down the road, you might have to increase consumption, but until then, as long as your observed results are in line with your goals, keep doin what you're doing!

-K
    My Journal
    Fat Kid Turned Personal Trainer, Nutrition + Lifestyle Coach
    http://www.kentmccannfitness.com to contact me!
    Also on Twitter, FB, and Fitocracy!

I do stronglifts 3 days a week, which is one of the reasons I was concerned. But I'm able to get through my workouts just fine, even fasted. I haven't been going up in weight as quickly as before, but I thought that was because I'm getting close to my max. What's the consensus on pre-workout eating? Should I try to get in a few more calories the night before a workout?

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    I will often have 1400 calories in a day as a very active 172 lb guy. I lift several times a week and do cardio pretty much every day. If you aren't hungry then you don't need to eat more.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitness Wayne View Post
    I will often have 1400 calories in a day as a very active 172 lb guy. I lift several times a week and do cardio pretty much every day. If you aren't hungry then you don't need to eat more.
    Are you sure you're eating enough bro?
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Deonte is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I think your body weight is pretty fine and you are eating not much that would take you for gaining weight.Just have a check on your body physics and eat according to your hunger.In this way you will keep looking the same and if you are want to loss your weight.So,you should be eat low calories and zero cholesterol diet.

Please give your suggestions.

Boot camp workout
    Last edited by Deonte; 10-17-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast