Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just how important are calories, anyway? page 2

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Deonte View Post
    eat low calories and zero cholesterol diet.
    Are you in the right forum?
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    How old are you?

I do heavy lifting 3x/week and eat 2500-3000 calories to maintain, when there isn't a lot of stress messing with the hormones. Granted, I am like 28% BF on my 5'4" frame, but I think 1600 might just be too low...
    but! if you feel fine lifting your weights, carry on....

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    I am 5'3, 52, am very active (HIT/Crossfit 3 times, train once a week and ride as often as I can) and I have to eat quite a lot more than you in order to lose weight. For me, at least, with my activity level my body won't give up any weight at 1600 calories.
    On very active days I eat at least 2000. I was on a plateau for years because I thought that 1400-1600 was enough for me. While my body adapted to my high activity level and I wasn't hungry & my energy was fine, it wouldn't give up body fat or weight until I gave it more fuel. On rest days I get between 1600-1800. Granted, there aren't many of those but this is what works for my body and my metabolism... I've been told that women's bodies are more susceptible to this dynamic than mens but I don't know if that is actually true.

I don't do fasted workouts - no time to eat afterwards so I have breakfast before my 6 am workouts.
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-16-2012 at 04:16 AM.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    sakura_girl, I'm 22. Maybe you're lifting heavier than I am, so you need more to recover? I'm currently squatting 165, 5 sets of 5, max deadlift of 250, if that gives you a basis for comparison.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    All these spammer comments crack me up.

Anyway, if you want to look like Paleobird, calories are important. If you want to look like me, calories are unimportant.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    ...Maybe you're lifting heavier than I am, so you need more to recover? I'm currently squatting 165, 5 sets of 5, max deadlift of 250, if that gives you a basis for comparison.
    I squat 260, 3 sets of 12, 10, 9 reps. This is on a Freemotion machine - my cervical spine can't handle a weighted bar, leg-press 360 for now (goal of 410 in December). You are deadlifting about double the weight I do - same cervical spine issues. I really must watch out for my neck and I probably won't go heavier on the squat machine for the same reason. Thankfully leg presses don't hurt my neck

Calories matter, and our metabolism also matters. We tested mine to figure out what was going on after I worked so hard for several years but stayed at a weight and body fat % plateau. As soon as they convinced to to try increasing my calories by 50%, the scales started to drop. I've still a ways to go as far as body fat % is concerned, but I can tell that going Primal is helping there. I had lost 60 pounds via the CW route before hitting that plateau.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I'm 35, similar squat and deadlift numbers, 5'8" and 150 lbs, and I eat between 2000 and 2500 kcal daily and am maintaining weight while shifting body comp. You need to eat enough to build muscle and support recovery. Unless you have a very slow metabolism, I question whether 1600 kcal is adequate for a woman your size and activity level.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    sakura_girl, I'm 22. Maybe you're lifting heavier than I am, so you need more to recover? I'm currently squatting 165, 5 sets of 5, max deadlift of 250, if that gives you a basis for comparison.
    Nah, pretty similar stats. I'm hitting 160x5 and max deadlift of 265.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Calories matter, and our metabolism also matters. We tested mine to figure out what was going on after I worked so hard for several years but stayed at a weight and body fat % plateau. As soon as they convinced to to try increasing my calories by 50%, the scales started to drop. I've still a ways to go as far as body fat % is concerned, but I can tell that going Primal is helping there. I had lost 60 pounds via the CW route before hitting that plateau.
    I have trouble with this one also. After going primal, I just get full on less. I am changing around my macros and that is helping but also I think I need to experiment with upping my calories some days. I am trying to do that today, and I had a higher calorie day a couple of days ago. Kind of a zig-zag I guess. Anyone put any stock in zig-zagging like that?
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Calories are the most important factor in weight changes. Specific nutrients only matter in regards to body composition changes and overall health.

If you are trying to maintain weight, simply eat till you feel satisfied, but not full and generally only eat when you are hungry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12