Thread: Zero-carb(and zero sugar) diet + acne page

Loneketo is offline Senior Member

Zero-carb(and zero sugar) diet + acne

Primal Fuel
    Hope this is in the right section?

I'm 15, male, and grew up with the average disease ridden American diet. As you can imagine, I have acne, and it is truly a problem.

I believe Mark said in one of his blog posts that you can actually live zero-carb, and I love the idea that we were inborne fat-burners. This is my 2nd day not touching a carb(including fruit or vegetables), and so far feeling great, I had no problem with a sprint session either, which was surprising.

I'm taking omega-3s, B-complex(which also contains vitamin C), Zinc,6,000IU D3,and maybe even Iron(Would that be ok?)and eating plenty of fatty fish(salmon), organic cage free eggs and fatty beef, can't stomach chicken though.

I actually feel constant energy for once(mostly likely from the fat) and feel great.

My parents think I'm crazy, but they hate that my once youthful face is now acne-ridden just as much as I do. I know I'm not, because I never felt better in my life.

I have a few questions.
    How could I convince them to buy organic beef, for the better Omega 3-6 ratio and lack of all the hormones and chemical crap? I hate to this but they can be very stubborn And skeptical, and I say this out of respect, also price-wise is a another reason.

Could I live like this indefinitely? I ask this because I can never go low carb or medium carb, if I have some kind of carb, I just HAVE to have more, I have no idea but I become completely mindless and grab all the fruits in sight and eat them. But if I go no-carb, I have no craving problems, and feel great. I don't miss carbs at all.

Should abandoning all the high amounts of fructose and other sugars with the addition of more Omega-3s curb acne for good? Also I always had excessive bloating and gas after every carb containing-meal, and which I know was never good.

If any more info is need for better review, please ask!
    Last edited by Loneketo; 10-15-2012 at 05:54 PM.

PaleoCowgirl is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations to you on taking such a positive hold on your health. The blog Primal North is right up your alley and can teach you all kinds of things about living low-to-no carb. Check it out: Welcome to Primal North - Move, live, eat like a predator Good luck!

Thank you! Was really wanting something like that.

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    I can't really answer you on the carb question, although living 'zero carb' is probably impracticable, and for me would be pretty miserable. Think of all the delicious veggies you would miss out on!

Besides that though, I think you need to find a compromise with your parents. Its a bit much to ask them to buy organic beef etc etc all of a sudden, and eating organic/grass fed everything is not the be all and end all, especially if it is outside your practical means. If you are contributing the the food bill, then you shouldn't expect your parents to take this request well. If you don't already, get a part time job and either buy your own beef, or contribute to the shopping budget.

I do thnk cutting out sugar has helped with my acne though, and been a good thing for me overall.
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    You're missing out on a lot of vitamins and minerals by not eating vegetables. There are plenty of low-carb veg that you can eat and still stay very low carb.

I've read that dairy products often make acne worse, but you didn't mention if you eat cheese or yogurt, or drink milk. If you do, you might try cutting out all dairy and see if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    You're missing out on a lot of vitamins and minerals by not eating vegetables. There are plenty of low-carb veg that you can eat and still stay very low carb.

I've read that dairy products often make acne worse, but you didn't mention if you eat cheese or yogurt, or drink milk. If you do, you might try cutting out all dairy and see if that makes a difference.
    I eat no dairy products, which alone greatly improved acne. I was checking all the food I'm basing off, the eggs, fish, and meat, and I seem to not be missing a single vitamin in adequacy at all. The b-complex gives me the B's a long with a little Vitamin C(250%) while the magic multivitamin(eggs) have a lot of Vitamin E, and even the phytochemical Lutein and a bunch of other important vitamins. If anything, I might(MIGHT) incorporate vegetables back for their photochemical contents, have little need for much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosejuggler View Post
    I can't really answer you on the carb question, although living 'zero carb' is probably impracticable, and for me would be pretty miserable. Think of all the delicious veggies you would miss out on!

Besides that though, I think you need to find a compromise with your parents. Its a bit much to ask them to buy organic beef etc etc all of a sudden, and eating organic/grass fed everything is not the be all and end all, especially if it is outside your practical means. If you are contributing the the food bill, then you shouldn't expect your parents to take this request well. If you don't already, get a part time job and either buy your own beef, or contribute to the shopping budget.

I do thnk cutting out sugar has helped with my acne though, and been a good thing for me overall.
    I hate vegetables all my life, still do, if anything, I probably MIGHT incorporate them back in after a good induction. But I feel little need too. Yeh I get what your saying, eventually they will see what business I mean and what it is doing for my skin, then Maybe buy me true organic meat, but only when they see results of course! I don't feel miserable at all! I feel like as if I am answering my calling(sorry if it was a bit overboard). I mean, the Masai and Inuit do it, why can't I? They are truly more I inspirational then any other society I've learned about.
    Last edited by Loneketo; 10-15-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amyoescobar View Post
    Think of all the delicious veggies you would miss out on
    Vegetables are not delicious in my world. "plants are for prey".
    Last edited by Loneketo; 10-15-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    I agree with goldie, you shouldn't cut out all vegetables. As long as you stay under 50g of carbs you will stay in ketosis and get all the benefits of low carb/zero carb diet. I bet the only reason you hate vegetables is because you haven't found the right way to prepare them. I love steamed broccoli with salt but it is kind of nasty raw without salt. To make broccoli even better add clarified butter along with salt and it is so good. Another good recipe is cook bok choy in a pan with coconut oil for like ten minute on medium and add salt. If you haven't noticed by now I love salt. Experiment and figure out what vegetable you like and what preparation method makes them taste good to you. Maybe it is adding salt, maybe a squirt of lemon or cooking it in some healthy oil.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    incorporate organ meats, bone broth, everything, if you want to cut your veggie intake down
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Quote Originally Posted by Fitness Wayne View Post
    I agree with goldie, you shouldn't cut out all vegetables. As long as you stay under 50g of carbs you will stay in ketosis and get all the benefits of low carb/zero carb diet. I bet the only reason you hate vegetables is because you haven't found the right way to prepare them. I love steamed broccoli with salt but it is kind of nasty raw without salt. To make broccoli even better add clarified butter along with salt and it is so good. Another good recipe is cook bok choy in a pan with coconut oil for like ten minute on medium and add salt. If you haven't noticed by now I love salt. Experiment and figure out what vegetable you like and what preparation method makes them taste good to you. Maybe it is adding salt, maybe a squirt of lemon or cooking it in some healthy oil.
    Unfortunately any salt aggravates my acne, and I've lost taste for it as well. I might incorporate some vegetabl e, if anything, it's going to be spinach, tasteless, can just chomp it up unconsciously, I'll do that if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    incorporate organ meats, bone broth, everything, if you want to cut your veggie intake down
    I surely will (yum). Unfortunately not until I can buy it for myself, if I asked for heart, I don't know what my parents would think. Like I said after a good induction period, I will add maybe spinach, kale, and broccoli, if it tastes sweet I won't eat it, I don't want sweet cravings anymore, it disgusts me.
    Last edited by Loneketo; 10-15-2012 at 06:51 PM.