Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Fried Food? page

garod82 is offline Senior Member

Primal Fried Food?

Shop Now
    I really would like to get a nice crunch on my sweet potato fries but wasn't sure if it was considered PB to do that. Is there a fat or oil I can use that will give it a good cripsy texture and is still considered Primal?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    You want crunch? Kale chips.

jaye is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by garod82 View Post
    I really would like to get a nice crunch on my sweet potato fries but wasn't sure if it was considered PB to do that. Is there a fat or oil I can use that will give it a good cripsy texture and is still considered Primal?
    I've never made sweet potato fries but we do make white potato fries now and then. We use beef tallow. Works great! They turn out perfect.

Thanks alot, where can I get beef tallow?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Thanks alot, where can I get beef tallow?
    My local farmer's market has a seller that sells lard from pasture-raised pigs and tallow from grass-fed beef. Either of these would work extremely well for your purposes. Any chance you have a source like a farm or a market near you?

You could also try coconut oil. I've heard people have had good results with this.

Ya I can try Whole Foods. So how hot should I get it? Can I get simply do it on the Stove with a Pot of Tallow?

kitana89 is offline Junior Member
    I personally fry my chicken and sweet potato fries in ghee, clarified butter. It's easier to find in supermarkets than say lard or tallow. And if you can't get ghee, you can always make it yourself with good old butter.

Though I've heard from others that ghee doesn't have a high smoking point, so it might not be wise to deep fry anything in it. However I wouldn't worry so much about that as some of my Indian classmates have told me that ghee is versatile and is often used in deep frying things like pakoras and samosas.

jaye is offline Senior Member
    Ya I can try Whole Foods. So how hot should I get it? Can I get simply do it on the Stove with a Pot of Tallow?
    This is how we do it - on the stove with a pot of tallow. Make sure the oil is hot when you drop them in. Also, after you first drop them in make sure there is a little oil between them all so they don't stick together.

I couldn't find tallow at WF when I looked so I asked my grass-fed beef farmer. No one else had asked for it before so the next time he had some animals processed he brought me a couple gallons worth in plastic bags. I rendered it in the crockpot. It lasts for a really long time. I keep jars of it in the basement for months.

Bacon grease would probably work and you might have a ready supply if you cook bacon or sidepork regularly like we do.

faithy22 is online now Member
    COCONUT OIL!!!! OMG, sweet potato fries fried in coconut oil are to die for!!! The coconut flavor, although it's not sweet, our taste buds somehow think it is, goes perfectly with the sweet potato flavor. One of my favorite things to make and people love them when I do.

chinchiller is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitana89 View Post
    Though I've heard from others that ghee doesn't have a high smoking point, so it might not be wise to deep fry anything in it.
    Clarified butter has one of the highest smoke points of all oils. It's 135* higher than coconut oil. It's why I exclusively use it when I fry things.

Smoke point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by chinchiller; 10-15-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast