Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bone broth digestive issues? page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Bone broth digestive issues?

Shop Now
    I've been making bone broth for 2 weeks now, and I have been drinking it about 3 days/week. One thing I've noticed is that I ALWAYS get diarrhea after the day I drink more than a cup's worth of bone broth. What gives?

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Hm. Can you give an idea of what's going into your broth? Like what kinds of bones, or any veggies if you add them? Also, have you been getting the bones from the same source? Maybe you want to switch up your supplier.

I'm reluctant to pin that as the problem, though, because the only place I can get a steady supply of broth-appropriate bones that aren't exorbitantly priced (Whole Foods charges 7 bucks a pound! For BONES!) is the HEB, basically the Texas version of Food Lion, and they're certainly not from organic or grassfed animals. I drink a cup, sometimes two cups, of bone broth a day and I've never had the problem you describe.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    It might be from too much fat at once. I used to get a pretty upset stomach when I tried to eat coconut oil on an empty stomach.

I switch up between different cuts of beef from my local farmer (been doing shank and oxtail) and lamb neck from my local Sprouts Farmers Market. I used to just add salt, but the last batch I added an onion as well. Both lamb and beef with or without onion seem to cause the same issues.

Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    It might be from too much fat at once. I used to get a pretty upset stomach when I tried to eat coconut oil on an empty stomach.
    I wish....I can eat up to 300g fat in one day, so it's definitely not that XD

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Have you read much about the GAPS diet? In the beginning stage, you eat only bone broth based soups, and a sign that the gut is healing is diarrhea. So maybe it's a good thing?
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

But I am eating a lot of things on top of that, including starches and sugars, so I don't know if the broth would have healed my gut enough to produce diarrhea in the first place.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alg2435 View Post
    Have you read much about the GAPS diet? In the beginning stage, you eat only bone broth based soups, and a sign that the gut is healing is diarrhea. So maybe it's a good thing?
    Pretty much what I was going to say.

OP, since you don't have problems with fat digestion, this is likely a sign that you have GI permeability and could benefit from GAPS.

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Pretty much what I was going to say.

OP, since you don't have problems with fat digestion, this is likely a sign that you have GI permeability and could benefit from GAPS.
    Could you elaborate on this? So because the large amount of fats don't cause me diarrhea, I have GI permeability problems?

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    If digesting fat is no issue, the only other thing I can think of is that maybe it's an issue with specific kinds of amines. (perhaps a histamine intolerance, since it's meat that's cooked for a long period of time) The website describing the Failsafe diet has a lot of good info on this.

Minimising Amine Formation in Meat, Dairy and*Eggs The Failsafe Diet Explained

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast