Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bone broth digestive issues? page 2

Zelli88 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Maybe too much sodium and/or magnesium? Do you take a magnesium supplement on top of consuming bone broth?? If I remember correct, 300mg of Mg per 2 cups bone broth (and 300mg calcium, too). Also, maybe there is a good amount of natural salt in the broth and your adding too much salt to it. Excess sodium can cause diarrhea.

camel is offline Senior Member
    Might be the fat on an empty stomach? Do you drink the broth on an empty stomach?
    Have you tried going without for a few days? If you still get diarrea intermittantly off the broth it may just have been coincidence.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Actually, I should look up that histamine intolerance since I may have issues. I ALWAYS get my face bloated from cheese, wine, chocolate, coffee, mango, mustard, kimchi, sunflower seeds...but it's weird that I have such a severe digestive reaction from bone broth?

I drink broth with meals, and my stools get more solid the further away I get from days that I drink it.

Maybe it could be an overload of magnesium. I do supplement on top of it. I'll go easy on the supplements for a week or so and see.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    Don't have an answer for why, but you're not alone. I'm the same way with most any broth, and I don't think it's the fat. I had the same reaction yesterday consuming two cups of broth that was nothing but what was left from slow cooking a moose roast which is extremely lean with onions and about a 1/2 inch of water in the roaster.

ETA: I don't supplement with anything except Vitamin D3 in olive oil and digestive enzymes.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    I've had the same reaction this week to a stew made with lamb fatty meaty lamb bones, and I would have less than a cup of broth with each meal. I was putting down to the amount of fat, but now that magnesium is being mentioned I'll stop my supplement on days I eat the stew.

At first I thought it might be food poisoning but I felt fine otherwise, and I was very much the morning after.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I stopped the magnesium supplementation and it has improved a LOT. I guess that is the real reason. Although I am still going to look into that histamine thing, though.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I stopped the magnesium supplementation and it has improved a LOT. I guess that is the real reason. Although I am still going to look into that histamine thing, though.
    Then I think you are arriving at an ideal state of affairs - letting natural food supply you with enough nutrients that you can minimize supplement use. Congratulations! ;-)

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    If a liquid is too high in salt content, it will simply pass through your digestive system. Worth considering.

If you're adding normal amounts of salt, then I don't know.

EDIT: just saw magnesium post.

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Bosnic;981495]If a liquid is too high in salt content, it will simply pass through your digestive system. Worth considering.
    QUOTE]

Interesting, and not something I'd really thought of before. I don't consume alot of salt as a general rule, but definitely prefer more salt in my soups than other foods. What level of salt would be too high? Is there a specific content where the pass through starts to occur, or would it vary person to person?

seancrete is offline Junior Member
    I have noticed some gurgling when consuming bone broth. One of the primary extracts in making a broth is collagen. This is a large molecule and only digests well if the first step in it's cleavage is up to par. Pepsin, created in the stomach, is the first enzyme in this process. Pepsin production decreases with age and maybe stress. Using Pepsin as a supplement has eliminated any digestive symptoms for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast