Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can never eat DAIRY again... page

MouthDR is offline Senior Member

I can never eat DAIRY again...

Primal Fuel
    I've had sporadic cases of psoriasis since childhood, and in the last few years, started having a runny nose and itchy eyes right around September (allergies). The psoriasis was bizarre in that it started on my abdomen as a child, moved to my scalp and then stopped and remains at my hips. I've always had itchy dry skin through the Canadian winters but when I get a lot of sun in the summer, it's pretty much gone. Anyway, did some experimenting....

I was vegan prior to becoming paleo and for the nearly 2 years that I was, the psoriasis was put at bay. The red patches remained (albeit small) but no scaling or flaking of the skin. Felt great (with respect to the psoriasis).

I then went paleo overnight, and no changes. I was not eating dairy as it isn't paleo. Eventually, I did add in whey protein and then from some suggestions here on how to up my calorie count, added goat cheese and goat/sheep yogurt. The psoriasis and itchy skin came back.

I cut out all dairy for the last 6 weeks, and that included whey protein from grass fed cattle. Within the first week, the psoriasis was back to no flakes or scales. I then cut out eggs too to see if that made any more improvement - it didn't. But yesterday (after 6 wks dairy free) added back in one whey protein shake with 2 scoops of whey. Woke up this morning and the scaling is back. Also, my skin was/is very dry and in general, itchy all around.

Looks like all dairy is out for me, forever. No biggie, it was easy not having any for the 6 weeks, not to mention for nearly 2 years before that. Thought I would share this with everyone.

EDIT: forgot to also mention that my allergy symtoms also stopped when I cut out the dairy. Within 2 days, no itchy eyes and no stuffy nose.

Cheers

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    That's really interesting. I a lot of people who are sensitive to dairy can usually still handle whey protein. Was it whey isolate or concentrate? I believe the concentrate still has some lactose and other substances left behind besides just whey, whereas the isolate does not.

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to hear you can't have dairy. You might still be able to have clarified butter. I believe it is hormone and protein free which is what causes most of the problems for people with dairy allergies.

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it was a concentrate/isolate blend from grass fed NZ cows. I never have ANY digestive issues with dairy. Never. And even as a vegan for nearly 2 years, when I had dairy for the first time, nothing happened. Apart from the psoriasis though...

It's OK really, I don't miss it anyway. Apart from the protein shakes which I just enjoyed the taste, it doesn't make much difference in my life. Just means I have to watch what I eat, even closer.

mh586 is offline Junior Member
    The fact that dairy triggers your psoriasis might be a symptom of leaky gut. You can avoid gluten and diary and you will have little to no issues or better work on healing your gut and you might be able to reintroduce dairy and gluten if you want to. I had psoriasis repetitively triggered by gluten, but only after I went alcohol free and healed my gut (3+ months) I can eat gluten and dairy if I want (on most occasions I do not ).

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mh586 View Post
    The fact that dairy triggers your psoriasis might be a symptom of leaky gut. You can avoid gluten and diary and you will have little to no issues or better work on healing your gut and you might be able to reintroduce dairy and gluten if you want to. I had psoriasis repetitively triggered by gluten, but only after I went alcohol free and healed my gut (3+ months) I can eat gluten and dairy if I want (on most occasions I do not ).
    Yes, this sounds right. I am no expert, but I believe that vegans usually end up with all sorts of autoimmune diseases. I never was a vegan or even a vegetarian, but at a certain time I decided to improve my diet (because of my love of sweet/bakery stuff it needed badly) and followed the pyramid for some 3-4 months. I ended up with a leaky gut and it took some effort to heal.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Has anyone sensitive to dairy had issues with coconut milk?

I am not sure it agrees with me either
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    It's not so bad not being able to have dairy. While I really believe in the PB theories I don't agree with the dairy consumption piece of the puzzle. I don't think grok was suckling from the waterbuffalo's teats Animal milk is made to grow baby animals. Breast milk is made to grow baby humans....there are lots of other things we can eat/drink.

If you miss cheese, I recently got a book that has recipes for vegan cashew cheeses. Aged and flavoured, delicious, natural and totally primal/dairy free. You can also try liver pate...it's a great spreadable alternative.

Just one lady's opinion....full disclosure however...I do miss cheese like nobody's business.

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    I cannot comment on the whey, but I do know that dairy has a definite affect on me....my sinus are on constant drain when I have even the tiniest amount of the stuff. It has been very hard for me to eliminate, but I feel better without the stuff and that's what keeps me away. Also, we spend much less on Kleenex!!!
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have psoriasis, so I will give the dairy a miss and see what difference it makes, ta!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast