Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal: Energy! page

Energy! is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal: Energy!

Primal Fuel
    My screen name reflects the reason I have had to reevaluate my diet several times over my adult life, when my energy level would go from low-normal to non-existent. First time was in my late 20s...realized that my diet of eating mostly cereal, bread, peanut butter, yogurt, and fruit was leaving out protein...duh. Added it back in, which worked okay for awhile.

A few months later...after eating a big bowl of fruit with breakfast, by 10 am I would end up sitting on the couch staring into space like a zombie. Not sleepy, unable to even read...just sitting. A frutose/glucose crash, presumably. I was very ignorant about nutrition...this was in pre-Internet times but I did manage to figure out to stop eating giant bowls of fruit.

Muddled along until my mid-forties, feeling okay (for me, still low-normal energy.) Though I was eating the same CW way, my weight insidiously began increasing until reaching a max of 185. It was obvious I would soon be joining the 200 club, which was an unbearable thought. Came across the 5 Rules of Leptin concept, started following them and over about 6 months gradually lost 22 pounds. One rule was to eat 3 meals a day...I had been eating 5. It was no problem to drop the evening snack, took awhile to drop the 3 pm snack. It was easy to keep weight off without making other major changes. For awhile.

Throughout my adult life, no abnormal results have ever turned up on any medical tests, such as blood sugar, etc. Last spring, my energy degraded again until I was unable to concentrate and complete my work (I'm self-employed.) It caused me to miss a major deadline which has affected my income, naturally. I don't remember how it happened but I came across the Paleo/Primal ideas on various blogs, started buying the books, and reading. The science and evolutionary angle makes total sense to me. So far I've lost a few pounds since August, but the seriously AWESOME thing is the body-reshaping. My post-menopause big waist is not inevitable as it turns out. And I'm just about to finish up the big project from last spring.

My goal as soon as said project is outta here is to take some time off, gradually exercise more, and keep trying wacky new foods. (Roasted beef marrow today!) I suspect a familial pre-diabetes and thyroid problem combined/caused by eating too many f***ing carbs instead of real foods is behind all this nonsense.
    Age 55, post-menopausal, primal since August '12 with some dairy, lots of seafood, following PHD and the 5 Leptin Rules. Taking ThyroGold, eating RS and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

An early clue that something was not right with SAD is that years ago I used to buy boxes of Wheat Thins, etc. and eat the entire box in a day or two. I dimly realized that it wasn't right to pig out on that stuff...and maybe there was something in it that was making me binge. Never knew (per Dr. Davis- Wheat Belly) that wheat itself has addicting properties! However, I still think they were throwing some extra "goodies" in there to keep you eating and eating and eating...

I remember mentioning years ago to my older sister that I thought eating crackers and bread was making me gain weight. Her response..."NOBODY ever got fat from eating crackers!" Hmmm...all I know is that when I eat any hi-carb food such as fruit, bread, cake, etc. I get a "spacey" feeling that is surely a spike in blood sugar. When I eat a yummy primal meal, no spacing out. Coincidence? I think not!

Today's meals:
    Bacon, pastured eggs over medium, akame seaweed salad, decaf tea with coconut oil + stevia
    Roasted beef marrow, pork veggie soup, a carrot
    Lamb shoulder, peas, 2 tbsp sweet potato, 1 T marscapone, herb tea + stevia

I usually have a huge salad for lunch but hey, not today!
    Age 55, post-menopausal, primal since August '12 with some dairy, lots of seafood, following PHD and the 5 Leptin Rules. Taking ThyroGold, eating RS and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Today I did have a more (new) normal menu for me:
    Smoked salmon on avocado chunks, chopped celery and cuke, dulse, olive oil and apple cider vinegar, decaf tea and c oil
    Mt. Everest salad with tons o' veggies and raw mild jack cheese (1st started eating big salads after reading Eat to Live)
    Leftover pork shank with veggies in chicken bone broth, roasted okra, mascarpone cheese with cocoa and stevia, herbal tea

Am I the only one who didn't know about dried mushrooms...? Love them! And you don't have to worry about them rotting in a couple of days. Our local supermarket has porcini and shitake, sometimes an interesting mix. The package says to not eat them raw so I either boil or sauté them, after plumping them up in hot water.

Some of the new (to me) foods I've had in the last 2 months...may have eaten them somewhere but hadn't bought/prepared them myself before):
    Lamb shoulder from Whole Foods in crock pot...no bones, very tasty meat candy
    Broiled whole snapper...very good, ate skin and eyeballs, too (except for the white thingies)
    Roasted whole trout...also good, learned how to fillet it via a YouTube video (after cooking)
    Salmon eggs from Asian market
    Dulse from Maine for iodine and chewy flavor
    Celtic sea salt...nibble it here and there straight or grind it with mortar and pestle to add to various foods
    Beef ribs in crock pot (to tenderize the tendons and keep all the fat)
    Beef marrow bones, roasted...yummy if a little odd and kind of a hassle, will use them for beef stock
    Greek whole yogurt...love it, but it seems to raise my blood sugar too much and stall weight loss
    Pastured eggs...wish all animals were raised humanely and optimally, it's not that hard, people!
    Beef shank in crock pot...pretty good, need a better recipe
    Chicken liver paté...fairly good, ditto better recipe
    Calve's liver, frozen, pre-sliced...excellent with onions, pepper, and soy sauce
    Chicken hearts...okay but a tad rubbery...made an interesting paté
    Beef heart in crock pot...good, not great
    Fish, beef, chicken, shrimp, etc. stocks...all have been excellent, really glad to know how to make these
    Canned in water or olive oil octopus, clams, cockles, anchovies, sardines, kippers (smoked herring)...all good, kippers are my fav
    Fish sauce from Asian market...strong weird flavor that is yummy with ginger, rice vinegar, and stevia on roasted eggplants

So those are the highlights I can think of at the moment. I had already explored veggies fairly thoroughly in previous years but have added roasted okra to my regular repertoire of roasted summer squash, asparagus, bell peppers, eggplant, sweet potatoes, and/or onions that I keep in the fridge for instant salads and side dishes.

Still losing weight gradually...yay! Only a couple more pounds till I break the 160 barrier. Last time I was under 160 was about 15 years ago. Have had a setback re exercise after developing metatarsalgia (swollen ball of foot) on left foot, probably due to walking in socks on hard ceramic tile and/or some overly enthused squats and calf raises. Have been using Dr. Scholl metatarsal pads which work well in certain shoes. Good thing we have a staionary bike so I can still get some exercise!

It's bad timing on the foot, because we're going on vacation to Italy next Monday! Am taking cane just in case. We'll see how the eating goes, I'm not going to miss out on too much but I don't want to carb out every meal. I hear you can get good meats and cheeses at breakfast, which sounds great.

Today's breakfast was a little different:
    2 medium-boiled eggs (not the unusual part)
    Seaweed salad: rehydrated wakame with rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, olive oil dressing and sesame seeds
    Zucchini sautéed in butter with scallions and thyme.*
    Decaf chai tea with coconut oil
    1 fish oil cap to hopefully reduce inflammation on foot

I forgot there was avocado in the fridge, but am too full to eat it now. There's always lunch! Have some cabbage rolls in the fridge from TooJays, hope they're good. Had a gigantic cobb salad there for lunch yesterday, ate zero dinner last night. EXTREMEMLY unusual for me to miss a meal, ever.

*The secret is to use a spiral cutter that shreds the zucchini into thin ribbons in about 10 seconds. Should be good for making "zoodles" to replace wheat pasta, haven't tried it with marinara yet.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Hi! I'm looking for guidance on dosing Thyrogold, and found your journal. If you're still here, I'd love to hear what you've found, regarding how TG doses compared to other NDT. For instance, I've heard that 1 cap TG is like 2.5 grains Armour, but just not sure...
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Hi! I'm looking for guidance on dosing Thyrogold, and found your journal. If you're still here, I'd love to hear what you've found, regarding how TG doses compared to other NDT. For instance, I've heard that 1 cap TG is like 2.5 grains Armour, but just not sure...
    MamaGrok, big apologies for not getting back to you before. I got wrapped up in something or other (life?!?) and only recently have been back on the MDA forums. I am still using the TG, the smaller size (150?) once a day, first thing in the morning. It brought up my resting heart rate from 60 to about 72-78. I was never "aerobically fit" as my doc used to think about my low heart rate, just malfunctioning. I am also warmer so no longer have to bundle up in a turtleneck and sweatshirt in the house in winter...instead I wear a t-shirt and a long-sleeved shirt (usually unbuttoned.) I've never taken any thyroid prescription medication so can't compare. I did try some other supplements and had bad results (weird feeling in my neck/chest, for example.) Just not interested in taking a zillion tests and arguing with an endo or trying to dig up an alternate doc that isn't woo. I did order a thyroid panel ages ago to make sure I didn't have thyroid antibodies (I don't) so am going by symptoms.

I still have not been 100% healthy and have not had normal energy plus have had ever-worsening brain fog, decreasing motivation, lack of ability to focus, and a tendency to gain weight. Recently reread the PHD book, have been haunting various blogs and have done these things in the last month:

1. Started my own adaptation of the Leptin Reset...the bigger breakfast has allowed me to eat lunch an hour later, noon instead of 11. Apparently I have reactive hypoglycemia or something close to it so skipping meals is not an option at this point. But, have avoided snacking and stuck to 3 meals/day. Have gained about 4 pounds, but pants still fit and muffin-top is receding so hopefully it's mostly muscle.

2. Have been eating more starches per PHD.

3. Have soaked in a 65 degree pool a few times for about 15 minutes each time and gotten sunshine in early am and mid-day.

4. Been taking fermented cod liver oil with butter oil.

5. Stumbled over the resistant starch thread here and have tried it with excellent results so far, only about four days. Worked in the yard all weekend doing heavy brush and sapling removal and dragging stuff to the burn pile, much to the shock of my hubby...usually I only last a couple of hours if I'm up to it at all. Brain fog is gone, haven't been this alert in...decades? Am. Very. Excited. RS is definitely one of the missing links in the chain for me. Can't wait till my fancy probiotic gets here.

So, that's my update!
    Last edited by Energy!; 03-13-2014 at 08:05 AM.

A few recent findings:

Konjac (translated to "yam cake" though it's not made of yams) is an interesting option for getting resistant starch (RS) in food form. [ Update: I was mistaken, konjac is a source of soluble fiber, not RS. Still good for BG control, though.] Basically a white, flavorless gelatin but with a firm texture like a gummy bear. There's also a darker, grayish version. According to what I read online, you rinse it off, parboil it for 3 minutes, then store what you don't use right away in water in the fridge. Good in salads, can be marinated and/or sautéd. My hubby's comment was that it looks like "whale blubber." He's not that into the trying-new-foods thing.

Also from the Asian grocery store, bean vermicelli noodles made from mung beans, also a source of RS. Soak them for 7 minutes then boil for 3 minutes if using in a salad or add to soup and cook there. The ones I got are the "Pine" brand and are clear, gelatinous and also pretty flavorless. Both of these items are eaten more for the texture, apparently. No idea how much RS either one of these have but hopefully a decent amount.

I didn't start dinner until 5:15 last night which is revolutionary for me. Prior to RS I'd be hungry by 4 pm or even 3:30. I've been taking the potato starch (PS) or mung bean starch (MS) by itself in half a glass of water...easier than mixing into yogurt. About 1 T before each meal right now. No probiotics are included with this method, but there seem to be a sufficient number in my gut already. Though I have the AOR Probiotics on order, looking forward to trying those!

Have been randomly nibbling (with a meal) some chips of plantain and green banana that are drying in the fridge. Sort of a pain to get the peels off those suckers, but am interested in diversifying the sources of RS at this point.

One interesting development...I've never had any particular sinus or allergy problems. However, I have noticed several times since using RS that my nose seems more open inside, as if a slight inflammation has gone. Let's hope that's happening all over!!!

In the TMI department, I used to take magnesium citrate every night to avoid constipation (runs in the family.) In the quest to get off as many supps as possible, stopped taking it about 3 days ago. (Still am getting some mag in a calcium/mag supp.) Rabbit pellets for a couple of days, then today, Bristol #4.

Took 2 walks yesterday, got hair done, went shopping at B, B & B, reorganized all the spices in the kitchen. then ran out after dinner on a quick errand. While this sounds like no big deal, it represents a much higher level of activity for me than I've been able to do for years and years and years. In the past I've only been able to count on having some energy in the morning. Having it all day and into the evening with no brain fog? Fantastic! In general for meals, what seems to work for me is to have protein, fat, and starchy carbs and usually plenty of veggies. Not sure of the ratios, will have to figure it out one of these days. No grains except for white rice, have recently added red lentils (another RS source.)

Today it's time to get back to work. I'm increasingly reluctant to spend the hours and hours in front of the computer that is required in my current freelance career. It's not healthy and I'd rather be outside doing yard work in this beautiful, cool weather (high of 65º.) I quit my first "job" after college because it required being inside all day...funny how things have come full circle. Ironically, the constant fatigue during my adult life made sitting in front of the computer tolerable because at least I was accomplishing something and earning a living. Need to figure out one of those 4-hour work week deals (ha!)
    Last edited by Energy!; 03-13-2014 at 08:09 AM.

Progress report at about 10 days into my resistant starch (RS) experiment:

Am up to about 3-4 T of RS (usually potato starch) plus some RS foods at every meal. Also probiotics such as fermented sauerkraut, pickles (both Bubbies brand), kefir, and AOR probiotic on occasion.

Hypoglycemic response is reduced, can wait an hour to eat without feeling like I'm going to faint. Still can't skip a meal, not sure if I ever will, but no big deal. Am eating three meals a day with no snacks, per leptin diet.

Appetite is reduced and the 3 or 4 pounds that had shown up on the scale for a few days have gone away with no effort on my part.

Have had several instances of great, sustained energy all day, unlike I've felt in decades, plus a feeling of being alert yet calm, better ability to focus.

TMI is interesting...have stopped taking magnesium citrate to allow natural process to resume unimpeded. Some days have zip or close to it, then next day get a Bristol #4. Am not going to worry about having BM every day as long as it's not constipation. Fartage is minor issue, usually not odiferous.

Woke up for four hours in the middle of the night two nights ago...felt awful the entire next day. My sleep has been interrupted multiple times at night for years, and sometimes I can't fall asleep again. Last night I woke up at 3:30 am and took 1 T of PS in water and 1 mg of melatonin. Went back to sleep and woke up feeling very relaxed. Am at about 75% energy level today, but not too bad and can work. Tonight I'm going to try taking a T or two of PS in water right before bed and see if that prevents the 3 am wake-up call, damn it.

Fingers are crossed!

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Hi,

I too am following the PHD and supplementing RS.

Interesting about stopping the mag citrate. I take it to help me calm down to sleep. Not for bowel issues.

Good Luck on your experiments.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast