Thread: Female here, now looking to gain some weight (well muscle weight)! page

HealthyGirl is offline Member

Female here, now looking to gain some weight (well muscle weight)!

Primal Fuel
    So I have been primal since february, and lost 20 lbs. I feel & look great, but I do not want to lose any more weight, just maintain and possibly gain a bit more muscle. (I will not look good any thinner) I already work out about 4/5 days per week, martial arts kickboixng, and push ups/planks etc. Suggestions? I have upped the carbs a bit in terms of quinoa/sweet potatoes... I have a lot of equipment home as well..(Pull up bar, total gym, kettlebell etc). Open to suggestions!

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    A good barbell program will work wonders. I'm doing Starting Strength, and it's amazing - strength gains every single workout. Extremely empowering to feel like you can move heavy things! You'll need to eat more though, or you'll lose weight. I was just eating maintenance calories, and I lost 5 pounds pretty quickly. Now I'm trying to get used to packing away the food. I totally pigged out last week, and my squat and deadlift both jumped 20 pounds! W00T!

Diogenes is offline Member
    Hard to say without a full set of bikini pics!

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscellangela View Post
    A good barbell program will work wonders. I'm doing Starting Strength, and it's amazing - strength gains every single workout. Extremely empowering to feel like you can move heavy things! You'll need to eat more though, or you'll lose weight. I was just eating maintenance calories, and I lost 5 pounds pretty quickly. Now I'm trying to get used to packing away the food. I totally pigged out last week, and my squat and deadlift both jumped 20 pounds! W00T!
    There is not much hotter than a girl who can deadlift 300#.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on the weight loss. Miscellangela is right you need to eat more, especially protein. Drinking some egg white protein after lifting will help you put on muscle. I actually wrote a good article about tips on gaining muscle a few weeks ago, you might want to check it out. Since writing that article I also learned that you can increase your HGH level by getting lots of sleep (8 or more hours) which helps put on muscle.

kmc
    kmc is offline Member
    More carbs, especially post workout! A few hundred grams, even. (keep fat low during these meals, however, to avoid gain of adipose tissue.)

Heavy strength training! Try Starting Strength or Strong Lifts.
    My Journal
    Fat Kid Turned Personal Trainer, Nutrition + Lifestyle Coach
    http://www.kentmccannfitness.com to contact me!
    Also on Twitter, FB, and Fitocracy!

HealthyGirl is offline Member
    Thanks everyone....Carbs...As in? Sweet potatoes, squash, what else? I need ideas....

andyTHFC is offline Member
    white rice, white potatoes and plantains are some of my faves.

Seems like you have some good equipment at home as well. Try some kettlebell/bodyweight circuits which include pullups/chinups and you'll be well on your way. Check out myomytv.com for some great workouts.

Misabi is online now Senior Member

Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness

Though, looking at her example menu I'd prefer to see some natural protein sources in place of the shakes, but whatever you need to do. Good luck and enjoy your journey :-)
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    If you want to get stronger, faster. You can cut out some of the 4 days of training. Your burning a lot of extra calories which is great for slimming down, but your gonna make it harder to build muscles. With muscles comes a bit of fat at the best of times. So focus on putting on muscle now, then when you are satisfied you can lean out some more.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"