Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues staying on Paleo page

tristonian is offline Junior Member

Issues staying on Paleo

Earlier this year I made some progress on my overall health, I had lost weight (40lbs), was sleeping better (not all the time) and feeling great. For the past few months though I've been struggling to eat Paleo, I can usually go about a day or so now before reverting to SAD foods. While I don't want to get into excuses I've given myself the only significant change in my life has been increased stress.

I know I'm not the only one to go through this so I wanted to ask what has worked for you guys in terms of staying on track. I've been sedentary most of the time in the past and don't really enjoy cooking that much to begin with. So these are very big lifestyle changes for me and goes against many of my preferences. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be great. If anyone knows of a cookbook or recipe site that has a lot of really simple dishes that would be great too as most recipes I've found either don't sound/look appealing or take a long time for an inexperienced cook like me.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    You have to have a commitment to having enough fruit and vegetables in the house. A couple of times we found that we ran out of food by the end of the week. Trays of eggs are a pretty good food source as well.

In the beginning, it was about finding primal 'go to' recipes, so that when we feel tired or in a funk, we can auto-pilot our way to a good meal.

Here's some examples:
    Coffee with cream instead of milk
    Bacon and liver and eggs
    stir fry - Mince + veges , with steamed carrots and cauli-flower instead of rice
    slow cooker - stewing steak (plus boiled potatoes/steamed veges), sometimes with kidney (for steak and kidney pie)
    fried - steak/mushrooms/eggs
    Dessert - baked bananas, topped with cinammon or chocolate, covered in cream at the table (we have this basically every second night)
    slow cooker - corned beef + onions, with either steamed or roasted veges on the side
    salad - cold meat, plus tomatoes, olives, cheeses, red onion, leafy greens.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    First, just acknowledge that stress sends you toward comfort behaviors -- in both activities and eating. just acknowledging that helps a lot.

Second, as above, you need to discover your "go-to" recipes. For us, oddly, it's a quick pan-fried fish with salad. It's something that cooks up in about 20 minutes for us (less if you are doing less fish). We also have mince on hand to make a quick and easy sliders to have with salad or steamed veg. it's not fancy, but it's also not fussy at all and easy to put together.

We also love our crock pot, and so we do a lot of stews in them.

Our go-to sweet is frozen berries, coconut cream, and if we want nuts or chocolate chopped on top. It's a nice addition on those days when you want to eat away your stress (i know from experience).

I like nomnompaleo blog. it's got some good recipes. Some are harder than others and I think she obviously likes to cook, but her crock pot recipes are great.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    It's easier if you can be prepared. Stock up on your main staples in the house.... veggies, meats, eggs and whatever other paleo staples you like. A stir fry meal is the easiest to throw together in my opinion Just cook the meat in a little coconut oil, add your veggies and spices and you are good to go! You could even make a few of these and store in the frig when you don't feel like cooking.

paleomg has some good recipes... I've made the mushroom gravy slow cooked rump roast and it's soooo easy and delicious.

Eggs, tuna, ground beef, ground turkey, no salt added canned veggies (for when I don't have time for fresh or frozen), coconut butter and coconut oil are some of the main things I try and make sure I can on hand to make things easier. I also keep fruit but I know that not everyone eating paleo/primal eats fruit.

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    When you cook, cook big. Invest in containers that you can freeze. Put extras in the freezer so that you have a quick source of food that you can warm up when you don't feel like cooking. Use some of these for lunches too.

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    Oh, and if you don't feel like cooking, also consider you intermittent fasting as a choice of what to do for your meal.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    For a quick meal I'm big on eating big salads, the stuff like spring mix. I'll add some blue cheese, sun dried tomatoes (esp for the lycopene), avocado, top it off with grilled meats/fish. It's quick and easy. I like fried eggs and smoked salmon, too. Since I eat out for lunch I've found that Applebee's is easy to eat primal. You just have to ask for substitutes, which they are willing to do. For example, on their salads I skip their HFCS vinaigrette and I ask for vinegar and oil. For the steak plates I sub the potato/rice for extra veggies.

For staying focused and on eating goal getting in the right amount of exercise helps the most. If I slack on exercise my focus on food seems to slack off too.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tristonian View Post
    Earlier this year I made some progress on my overall health, I had lost weight (40lbs), was sleeping better (not all the time) and feeling great. For the past few months though I've been struggling to eat Paleo, I can usually go about a day or so now before reverting to SAD foods. While I don't want to get into excuses I've given myself the only significant change in my life has been increased stress.

I know I'm not the only one to go through this so I wanted to ask what has worked for you guys in terms of staying on track. I've been sedentary most of the time in the past and don't really enjoy cooking that much to begin with. So these are very big lifestyle changes for me and goes against many of my preferences. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be great. If anyone knows of a cookbook or recipe site that has a lot of really simple dishes that would be great too as most recipes I've found either don't sound/look appealing or take a long time for an inexperienced cook like me.
    I think what has worked for me has been my age. Finally running out of health kinda gives you some perspective.

I think the worst thing are cookbooks. They are ALWAYS too complicated. I only look through recipes to just see how hot the oven should be or how long it takes for something to be cooked.

Easy anytime meal: Throw stuff in an oiled frying pan and eat when cooked. Good stuff includes: vegetables, onions, potatoes, mushrooms, some kind of meat or leftovers, eggs or even canned fish. Takes about 15, 20 minutes. Sometimes less.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    My problem is not with food in the house, its when I got out to watch football on Sunday!/
    Health is Wealth!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't think you need a cookbook. The best meals I've had contained the fewest ingredients, and were just well-seasoned. Learn to cook with raw ingredients, experiment with how flavored and herbs work together, and keep a good pantry of dried herbs and spices around. I don't think most people can argue with the deliciousness of a steak with salt and pepper.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast