Thread: Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 page

2ndChance is offline Senior Member

Insulin-like Growth Factor 1

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys,

If this term is new to you, start here. If it's old hat, watch the video anyway.

Dr. McDougall and Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 - YouTube

I started getting interested in IGF-1 when I read about its increased presence in milk from cows treated with bovine somatotropin (also known as recombinant bovine growth hormone, hormone injections that stimulate the cow to produce more milk, used by farmers to boost efficiency and profits).

I feel like I'm looking at the tip of the iceberg here. This is a big deal, and I agree with this doctor when he says, "In cancer research, insulin-like growth factor 1 is one of the hottest topics out there."

Insulin has been a buzzword for many years now, what with the rise in number of diabetes diagnoses... but is it possible IGF-1 is even more dangerous than its cousin?

EDIT: Please post your links to videos/articles discussing the topic. The Youtube lecture I posted is obviously geared at vegans, but it raises a few interesting points, the takeaway being say no to dairy and soy.
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 10-15-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    Good for me I don't eat soy or dairy. Just out of curiosity, so would IGF help a person put on muscle if they are weight lifting? Do you know if HGH has any of the same negative health impacts? I have heard that HGH is the anti-aging hormone.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a credible source of this information? McDougall has no credibility
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Thrakk is offline Junior Member
    Youtube: Eat, Fast, and Live Longer

I've posted this documentary before in another thread, but it seems to address this topic (plus, I really like the doco and feel the need to share it out).
    In this doco, IGF-1 is tied in with intermittent fasting. The narrators' IGF volumes are halved when he implements fasting.

The whole doco is pretty insightful, but if you want just the part about IGF-1, you can probably just tune in around the 19:30 mark.
    Last edited by Thrakk; 10-16-2012 at 05:42 AM.

CDC
    CDC is offline Member
    Human Growth Hormone is secreted by the pituitary gland in the brain. It is considered the "healing hormone" because in adults it helps us heal and not deteriorate.

Some of the benefits of natural human growth hormone replacement include:
    •Increase in cardiovascular function and output and decrease in atherosclerotic plaque formation
    •Increase in clot dissolution
    •Increase and reversal of loss of muscle strength
    •Increase in bone mass and growth - 3% per year bone growth
    •Decrease in centripetal fat (love handles)
    •Improvement in lung function and capacity
    •Improved hair, skin, nail growth and thickness
    •Improvement in memory and cerebral function = happy and healthy
    •Improved wound healing including postoperative healing and protein synthesis
    •Increase REM and stage 4 sleep = improved sleep
    •Restoration of youthful immune system
    •Increase in energy level and exercise capacity
    •Enhancement of sexual performance
    •Elevation of mood
    •Increase physical and psychological well-being
    •Increase in life expectancy and quality of life by disease prevention
    •Increase in tightness of skin, decrease in wrinkles secondary to increased collagen and elastin
    •Return back to a more vigorous state of health

peril is offline Senior Member
    I asked for credible sources, not youtube. Doesn't anyone read anymore?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    It's one of those things your eyes tend to glaze over, right after your mind. But this article is quite thought provoking.
    Impaired insulin and insulin-like growth fa... [J Alzheimers Dis. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

CDC
    CDC is offline Member
    my feeling are like any other measurement like thyroid, testosterone, vit d --whatever it is, if you are on the low end of normal and there is room for improvement without going over board and there are benefits to be made then why not try.

for example--vit d---range 30-100...some people are at 34 while others like myself are 68, am i getting better health benefits than the person at 34..i believe i am but we both fall in the normal...just a thought