Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question on leptin reset..thanks page

CDC
    CDC is offline Member

Quick question on leptin reset..thanks

Primal Fuel
    Ok..i think i understand it

50 g protein for breakfast and then lunch and dinner with 50 carbs or less total for day

nothing after 730pm

questions

1-can you eat nuts in mid day if needed
    2- i work til 730 pm everynight...eat at 8-830..this ok?
    3- do i have to stop training for 2 months?

Biggest question-- do i have leptin issues?, can i do this anyway< just incase

my muscles do hurt a lot at crossfit(fast fatigue) and usuallyv finish last-- recovery from soreness is slow

i sweat a lot during work out, not sure of anything else-- sometimes i have hunger issues and i cant get rid of my back fat and love handles...----biggest issue

Timthetaco Guest
    Jack Kruse was a tick that the community burned off quite some time ago. Feel free to do it if you want, but he's kind of an enormous bullshitter.

otzi Guest
    Most of what was called 'leptin reset' was really just good eating habits. Eat a big, meaty breakfast as soon as you get up. The big 'test' for leptin resistance was the mirror test--if you look in the mirror and see a fat person, you are leptin resistant.

I doubt leptin reset is the magic bullet for most people around here.

CDC
    CDC is offline Member
    Ok..thanks...I kind of felt this was what I was doing anyway...except the huge amount of,protein in morning ---don't get that much

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think you can get a lot of benefit just having a high protein breakfast (just meat and eggs or just meat or just fish) and then making sure that you go to bed at a decent hour (I'm partial to 9pm) and get up at a decent hour. Kruse's whole deal is about circadian rhythms and I think these two things are the main things to do to get that under control. Now HOW to make yourself go to bed at a decent hour and get up are another story, plus HOW to make yourself eat a meaty breakfast if that's a problem is another story too. But I don't think breakfast has to be so huge. Just generous, without fear.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Eating a big, protein breakfast can be a great way to keep hunger in check, if you have issues with being hungry all the time. I did this for a period of time, and it was a way to keep myself full so that I wasn't obsessing about eating and snacking.

However, eating too low carb for too long also has the potential for tanking the thyroid, which paradoxically will make fat even more difficult to lose, and you have the potential for developping other problems, likely related to lowered thyroid production (like depression, lethargy, fatigue, coldness, etc...) which is what happened to me. In addition, my experience was that my performance in the gym on low carb sucked. When I started adding back carbs I made huge gains. Everyone is different, some people thrive and excel on low carb, but it's not for everyone, and it may not be good long term.

For the stubborn fat, my suggestions would be to check out:

1. Cold thermogensis - this would also probably help with your sore muscle issue.
    (there's an interesting write up on this in Tim Ferriss' book, The 4-Hour Body, and also a thread on this forum.)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread56730.html

I'm thinking you might be IFing already since you mentioned 'fast fatigue', but just in case you haven't tried it,
    2. Intermittent fasting (the Leangains site has a lot of good info on this, plus there were some excellent threads by pklopp on this forum)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27894.html

3. You could also try Lyle McDonald's UD2, depending on how crazy you want to get with the stubborn fat issue. It has the potential to give you some dysfunctional eating issues, but some people have used it short term with good success. Personally, it didn't work for me (but I'm female, and have a host of weird issues, so I can't always use myself as a yardstick.) Anyway, his Body Recomposition website does have a lot of good information.

Fat Loss Diets and Dieting | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
    Last edited by BestBetter; 10-16-2012 at 07:03 AM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the protein for breakfast. I usually dont eat breakfast per se, but my first meal of the day that breaks my fast, I like to make it 3 eggs and a serving of salmon or mackerel. Sounds weird, I know, but hits the spot.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I agree with the protein for breakfast. I usually dont eat breakfast per se, but my first meal of the day that breaks my fast, I like to make it 3 eggs and a serving of salmon or mackerel. Sounds weird, I know, but hits the spot.
    Weird? Not at all. "Salmon benedict" (eggs benedict served over salmon rather than toast) is a VERY popular brunch dish in the states. Your taste buds are far from odd.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    That sounds like the best breakfast ever! Do you raise your own chickens/eggs?

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok maybe not weird around here. But DH looked at it, and he is like, what is this?! I said it is your healthy daily dose of choline & omega 3 fish oil. And he is like no, really, what is this??!! haha

I buy my eggs them from the neighbor.

I know I probably got the idea here first, but then heard it at PHD. So on the days I am not doing some sort of modified fast/feast experiment, I have started eating 3 eggs w/salmon or mackerel for my first meal, usually between 10 & 12. It goes along well with that "easy, don't have to think about what I am eating" thing.

Diets low in choline strongly promote obesity. Therefore, anyone seeking to lose weight should be sure to eat a choline-rich diet.
    The easiest way to do that is to eat 3 eggs a day and a pound beef liver once a week.
    Another type of lipid that may be missing from adipose cells are omega-3 fats. Balancing the omega-6 to omega-3 ratio is helpful against obesity, and most people are omega-3 deficient. So eating up to 1 pound of salmon or sardines per week may assist weight loss.
    Beef and lamb – meats that are low in omega-6 fats – would be good choices for any additional meat.
    So I thought I would just combine the 2 and get them both out of the way first thing.
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-16-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast