Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do with this can of sardines? page 3

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Eat 'em out of the can ... no shame in that.

Eat them with a salad.

Eat them in a curry.

Fancy some rice? Make a Kedgeree.

Whatever you decide, eat them. They're good for you, taste good, feel good, blooming nice to eat.

Jennifla is online now Senior Member
    I eat them out of the can also, all the while my cats chase me around the house for a bite.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Sardines are becoming my go-to protein on lazy nights. Since my previous post, I have put sardines over rice, and I've put them on top of scrambled eggs. The rice I figured would be fine, but I thought the eggs might be weird. It was very good, kind of "I'll have protein with a side of protein" good. For the rice, I used the whole can; for the eggs, I drained the can.

Also, if you like salty things, I just found Goya Sardines in Tomato Sauce. Delish by itself. It comes in a larger oval can, and I've only eaten half the can, but I'm thinking that dumping that on top of cooked rice or some Brazilian cheese bread would be awesome. I also got some sardines in water because I want to start playing around in my kitchen with different ways to use them - I'll post if anything post-worthy comes from my experiments.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Wrap them in bacon, and bake them in the oven until the bacon is cooked.
    SW (1/4/12): 326 lbs. (48% BF)
    Steak and Eggs SW (5/11/13): 198 lbs.
    CW (6/2/13): 185.4 lbs. (??% BF)
    GW: 185 lbs. (~15% BF)
    0.4 lbs. to go, ??% BF to go

mgeoffriau is offline Junior Member
    Here's my favorite sardine snack -- sardines, on nut-thin crackers, with a dab of sriracha sauce on top. Delicious.

fatlapcat is offline Junior Member
    Lunch; yesterdays stir fry veggies, or a half packet of good frozen veggie mix. Steam in the microwave at work, drain off the liquid. Open your tin of sardines and toss in with the veg. Add some soy sauce/tamari, sesame oil, a splash of lime and some chili, heat for a bit longer. Simple, quick, tasty, yum. Although my business partner does accuse me of eating cat food when I do this.....

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skorpion317 View Post
    Wrap them in bacon, and bake them in the oven until the bacon is cooked.
    Yep, wrapped in bacon is great, although I fry them.

tdugmen is offline Junior Member
    Shredded and mixed with some diced tomato, peppers and onion, A bit of lemon juice, a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper... and I usually use endive's leaves as a spoon. Crunchy and fresh!

Pd. I used to be able to buy as many fresh sardines as I wanted for a ridiculously cheap price in my home town... now I miss them sooooo much ;__;

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    If your sardines are raw, you could try this Mediterranean dish called "bouillabaisse" (many different recipes out there).
    If they are pre-cooked and swimming in oil (hopefully olive oil), eat them straight from the can.
    I prefer to buy mine in glass jars though, swimming in organic olive oil. I can base my meal just on sardines like that

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    I think you can eat them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast