Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chronic cardio and losing weight page

rabbidchicken69 is offline Senior Member

Question chronic cardio and losing weight

I went primal two months ago and since then i have lost 30 lbs since i went primal i started working out three or four times a week doing bodyweight exercises and sprinting and lifting weights when i was younger i used to compete in tae kwon do i would exercise alot more than i do now. What i was wondering is i'm just looking to lose those extra pounds i have I got 50+ lbs to go before i get to my goal I have my diet under control i just feel really lazy doing short high intensity workouts couple times a week but i was wondering could i boost the weight loss by upping the amount of times i workout per week? a normal workout for me lasts anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes i have a little daughter and thats about as long as she can entertain herself while i'm working out in the garage. or maybe doing two workouts a day? I know it sounds crazy but everything i have been doing has been working just fine my muscles are visibly bigger and more defined my body composition is improving alot i pretty much just wanted to speed the progress up. I get plenty of exercise at work too hardly any time of my day is spent sitting except lunch and i normally walk anywhere from 5 to 10 miles a day at work. I don't know i should probably just be patient and keep doin what i have been doin but i am stuck with the modern day mentality of faster is better any help would be apprecieated.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Just to clarify:

You lift, do body-weight work, and sprint 3-4 times a week.
    Then 5 days a week, you get lots of walking done at work (5-10 miles)
    And you run around after your daughter

Correct me if that's wrong. Workout related advice: You get plenty of cardio, so lets up the lifting. Try lifting/doing body-weight work 3 times a week for sure. If you want to workout more than that add in HIIT/Sprinting. If you're walking 5 miles a day thats plenty of low-intensity work.

What's the diet like? Sounds like you're working your ass off for lack of a better word... Are you sleeping/recovering as much as you're working? That means diet, sleep, and stress management.

Health is synergy; remember that.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you are doing plenty already. Relax and let the weight come off at its own pace. Getting stressed out about it will just make it take longer!

Good luck. I know it's hard not getting results right away. But a year from now, 2 years from now, when all the weight is off... it will seem like it was quick, looking back. You'll be fine. :-)

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you put on muscle and lost fat faster if you worked out less. I hear that you're feeling fine and experiencing better muscle tone as is, and all that walking is probably bringing your cortisol down, but I suspect your cortisol is elevated even so.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Thanks for the advice I probably just need to spend more time chilling out cause i have an extremely high pressure high stress job. and as far as sleeping goes previously to pb i only used to sleep two or three hours a night now i get seven to eight with the occasional nap in the day. as far as my workouts go i have been working out three times a week lifting weights for around a half and hour at a time i was just worried with everything i do at work that i might be pushing it with lifting weights too. And according to fitday i got my diet dialed in at around 50% fat 38% protein and 12% carbs is my average. I noticed i started losing more weight this last week cause I wasn't having my nightly glass of wine when i got home from work I read a few articles that alcohol essentially switches your liver from burning fat to processing the alcohol until it's out of your system.

And i actually work six to seven days a week. i have an extremely demanding job.

Changing my stance then because of more information... I think the other are right, you need to cool-down a little or at-least get some me time... doesn't sound like that would help with fat loss but cortisol is a powerful hormone.

Im not asking you to change your job, I understand you're crushing it and doing lots of work, but I do think you need some you time. I would stick with 3 good lifting sessions a week, and the rest of the days you stick with your 5-10 miles a day, and maybe some yoga or the like for recovery.

When do you sleep? As in at night or during the day?

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

@ EGYnutrition I sleep at night i work swing shift i work from 2 in the afternoon till ten thirty at night. most nights i'm asleep by 1130 but i'm up again at 7 to take my gf to work and usually up most of the day unless my daughter takes a nap then i take a nap if i have time.

Ok not bad, adrenal repair is between 11pm-1am so you're getting that down, which is very important. And you're workout pattern will be 3 lifting sessions a week, with the 5-10 miles a day for cardio. I really really recommend you work on self-recovery, I think that would help you immensely. Maybe talk to a health practitioner about seeing what an anti-cortisol herb can do for you... Something like Holy Basil plus Vitamin C before bed or sometime in the afternoon.

Tempted to ask how the diet is?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    well my daily diet normally is around the same ballpark as this (these numbers are for today) 59% fat 32% protein and 9% carbs. I didn't eat breakfast today so for lunch i had 6 oz of smoked pork loin i made last night a BAS with some homemade mustard vinaigrette and snack at work is three hardboiled eggs and dinner is gonna be 10 oz of smoked pork loin three cups of broccoli florets steamed with butter and maybe a salad too. most days i eat more protein a little more carbs but not much generally speaking i stay between 50 65 grams of carbs a day all from veggies. I quit drinking soda's along time ago when i was still doin th cw thing and since i went primal i have eliminated all grains and legumes from my diet unless it's my cheat day which i do about once a month so far. I was thinking back to the post about p90x and crossfit and the pro's and con's of both of those programs and i was thinking that p90x are pretty intense long workouts but mark was saying that if you wanna lose weight and get ripped that that program would deliver so i was wondering if working out more during the week would speed up my results since it seems to me i have the diet dialed in. I mean i feel fine and i'm seeing good results so far i'm just not very patient and if working harder would speed it up then i would work harder i just didn't want to be sacrificing any gains i had so far in said goals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast