Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chronic cardio and losing weight page 2

PrimalEagle is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I totally get where you're coming from. Prior to starting PB a week ago, I kickboxed 5 times a week for an hour, ran 3.5 miles 3x a week and then played 2s sand vball on the weekend. I'm still trying to figure out how to "tone down" my workouts to make them more primal and not undo the good I'm trying to do with my diet. I am one of those rare females who put on muscle easily so I don't want to add in too much strength training and was relying on my kickboxing for that (while much of it is high intensity punching/kicking/sprinting, we also do a lot of lunges, squats, pushups, burpees, situps, etc), but many on here have told me I need to cut the kickboxing WAY back, so I'm aiming for twice a week now. I also dropped the running for an hour of walking 5-6x a week. I feel like I'm doing nothing.

I had my first vball tourney this past weekend and tried to stay "primal" even though I felt like I would need complex carbs. Instead, I added in a dried fruit/nut trail mix and some bananas and was ravenously hungry the next day. Despite having normal primal meals other than during the tournament and some trail mix the next day, I still gained a pound, I'm assuming from the increase in nuts/fruit.

Ugh. It can be confusing!
    "If you won't be better tomorrow than you are today, what do you need tomorrow for?"

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    P90X is a great program, and so is Crossfit as a lifestyle. Heres the problem: If we are correct in thinking your cortisol levels are high, after 90 days you will have Adrenal Fatigue. Trust me... that is not a road you want to go down.

Sleep is ok, workouts don't seem crazy, and the diet is good (one cheat a month should not be stalling you up)... The only factor that could stall you that much is stress in my eyes... But you say you feel fine.

So my recommendations are as follows:

Definitely try to reduce stress, work on you time
    Talk to a doc about getting a saliva test for adrenal/thyroid health
    Think about doing a cortisol-reduction supplement such as Holy Basil/Vitamin C (clear this with a doc or practitioner)

And the last one which Im tempted to not even say because I've had to suggest it so much lately: A refeed...

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalEagle View Post

I had my first vball tourney this past weekend and tried to stay "primal" even though I felt like I would need complex carbs. Instead, I added in a dried fruit/nut trail mix and some bananas and was ravenously hungry the next day. Despite having normal primal meals other than during the tournament and some trail mix the next day, I still gained a pound, I'm assuming from the increase in nuts/fruit.

Ugh. It can be confusing!
    Bananas are very high in carbs, as can be trail mixes, depending on the fruit/nut ratio. Maybe try a pure nuts trail mix and skip the bananas (or replace them with a not too sweet apple, if you feel you absolutely need fruit).

Yeah, I ate the bananas specifically for that purpose (as well as cramp prevention) -- playing 2s vball for 8 hours requires some kind of energy, especially in 90 degree heat. I was trying to make a compromise from not having actual complex carbs and even so was much more winded than usual (but didn't need as much recovery time after, which was nice). Still not sure how I'm going to handle the tournaments in the future.

I'm definitely seeing that dried fruit is not going to work for me.

Thanks for the help!
    "If you won't be better tomorrow than you are today, what do you need tomorrow for?"

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    On a somewhat random note, if you're eating bananas for the potassium, you can also get that from avocados, with much less of a sugar hit.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalEagle
    playing 2s vball for 8 hours requires some kind of energy, especially in 90 degree heat.
    If you can't get through those 8 hours without carbs, then I'd say that it's definitely too high intensity. You'll need water and minerals to deal with the heat, but I doubt that this form of exercise is sustainable in a primal fashion - it sounds more like chronic cardio to me. Have you tried doing it without carbs, but with plenty of water/minerals and maybe several high protein/fat snacks?

Well this was my first shot and I was only 5 days into PB (or so) so I wasn't sure WHAT I could do -- I just know that I typically carbo-load beforehand. This time I didn't eat anything truly non-primal (although I know banans are frowned upon) I just ate too much trail mix with dried fruit and the bananas. I think next time I will try the nuts on their own with some cheese or something.

I realize it may be chronic cardio, but playing vball games is fun for me and something I have always done at a very competative level. I'm not willing to give it up because it is something I truly enjoy, and it's a tournament twice a month (not running long runs every day or training for a marathon).

Thanks Diane! I will try that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalEagle View Post
    Well this was my first shot and I was only 5 days into PB (or so) so I wasn't sure WHAT I could do -- I just know that I typically carbo-load beforehand. This time I didn't eat anything truly non-primal (although I know banans are frowned upon) I just ate too much trail mix with dried fruit and the bananas. I think next time I will try the nuts on their own with some cheese or something.

I realize it may be chronic cardio, but playing vball games is fun for me and something I have always done at a very competative level. I'm not willing to give it up because it is something I truly enjoy, and it's a tournament twice a month (not running long runs every day or training for a marathon).
    You should take into account that when you switch from high-carb to low-carb your body will go through a transitional period - it needs some time to switch its metabolism from burning primarily carbs to burning primarily fat. Maybe you could take two weeks off from these activities and eat especially few carbs, and then try again.

Thanks so much, Mike. That's what I'm hoping. Unfortunately, I can't help when the tourneys are scheduled and, since it's 2s, I can't just bail on my partner. I don't have one for two more weeks so I'm hoping things will have worked themselves out by then. I'm doing a 30 day challenge so, other than the last tournament, my carbs have been under 50, with many days under 20.

Gonna have to gives some thought to high-fat snacks. Don't know what to do other than nuts and cheese. Guac doesn't hold up well in the AZ heat. Maybe those primal energy balls?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12