Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help designing a meal plan... page

Drumroll is online now Senior Member

Help designing a meal plan...

Shop Now
    So, my mother wants to experiment with a ketogenically diet, so she's asked me to create a meal plan for her. But she's told me that she still subscribes to the lipid hypothesis and has said she is looking to keep her saturated fat and cholesterol intake levels at or below CW recommended levels.

One step at a time I guess. I still want her to be able to try out a ketogenically diet to see how she feels, whether she loses weight, and get her to try something she has never considered before so I'm puzzling over this.

Can anyone provide some advice and insight as to how one might make a ketogenic diet possible while still using CW saturated fat and cholesterol levels? I've thought that it would be best to try and keep omega-6 levels as low as possible for obvious reasons.

Obviously the bulk of fats would likely have to be monounsaturated fats, but what other pieces of advice can you throw my way that might make this work?

Argh, this is so much easier when you don't have the lipid hypothesis hang-up.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Olive Oil. Olive Oil. Olive Oil.

That says to me mediterranean things like pestos, fancy cheeses, nice fruits, smoked salmon etc etc
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Olive Oil. Olive Oil. Olive Oil.

I'd also go fairly heavy on the fruit as well.
    The problem with the fruit is that it would likely kick her out of ketogenesis. It's not lipid hypothesis primal, it's lipid hypothesis ketogenic diet.

Kind of tricky.

Oh, and yes to lots of olive oil. Have to be careful not to overdue protein so ketosis could be maintained.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 10-14-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Anyone? Any. One?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    sounds like you just need to put together some VLC primal foods, but aim for the leaner options. fish is always a great option, and can help even out the omega ratio if she eats a lot of chicken or turkey. and there are plenty of leaner red meat options out there for her to try. i actually go for the leanest cuts of conventional meats, and they're super easy to find. obviously, you'll want to stick with the darker colored veggies, and be liberal with the fats. olive oil is great. using coconut oil a lot should really help sate her, and everyone thinks that stuff is basically the best stuff on earth, so she shouldn't find any negative info on it.

i also think coconut milk might be a way to really get in some extra fat. i'm pretty sure there are some recipes on here that use it to make a cream, or as a braising liquid, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    sounds like you just need to put together some VLC primal foods, but aim for the leaner options. fish is always a great option, and can help even out the omega ratio if she eats a lot of chicken or turkey. and there are plenty of leaner red meat options out there for her to try. i actually go for the leanest cuts of conventional meats, and they're super easy to find. obviously, you'll want to stick with the darker colored veggies, and be liberal with the fats. olive oil is great. using coconut oil a lot should really help sate her, and everyone thinks that stuff is basically the best stuff on earth, so she shouldn't find any negative info on it.

i also think coconut milk might be a way to really get in some extra fat. i'm pretty sure there are some recipes on here that use it to make a cream, or as a braising liquid, etc.
    Problem is, if you just shove a lot of chicken breasts into someone, even though it's VLC, at some point, that protein at such high levels will knock 'em out of ketosis. The ketosis style is generally "high fat, moderate protein, very low carbs."

It's hard to go moderate on the protein if you only have the very high protein lean meats to work with and cannot use fattier cuts.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    I would try to rely mostly on seafood if you're worried about lean cuts of meat being too high in protein for ketosis. Using eggs could also be beneficial, though your mom might fear the cholesterol in them.

Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    I would try to rely mostly on seafood if you're worried about lean cuts of meat being too high in protein for ketosis. Using eggs could also be beneficial, though your mom might fear the cholesterol in them.
    She has already said eggs in moderation (two or three times a week max) and no more than two eggs in one meal. Argh!

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I just don't see how one can obtain a sufficient caloric intake in ketosis while restricting cholesterol and saturated fat. I think she needs to do some good reading about the benefits of ketosis, and the cholesterol myth, and discussion of natural saturated fats and lack of correlation to heart disease. Also some reading about the association of carbohydrates and increasing cholesterol and triglycerides.

If one is trying to restrict fats, and maintain ketosis, they will end up eating a very calorie restricted diet and feel miserable.

Sbhikes posted this thread a week or so ago. It is a fantastic resource.

The Low Carb Megathread 4: Eat Bacon, Lose Weight, Live the Dream! - The Something Awful Forums

Have mom read it.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Problem is, if you just shove a lot of chicken breasts into someone, even though it's VLC, at some point, that protein at such high levels will knock 'em out of ketosis. The ketosis style is generally "high fat, moderate protein, very low carbs."

It's hard to go moderate on the protein if you only have the very high protein lean meats to work with and cannot use fattier cuts.
    that's where the extra fat comes in. are you thinking 2 meals a day? 3?
    i would drench broccoli, asparagus, eggplant, tomatoes(maybe), cauliflower, etc. in oils and roast the hell out of them. a plate full of lower-carb veggies with a couple of chicken thighs or a turkey leg on the side should do the trick. eggs are good too, but for me it's easier going over on the protein than it is with meat (probably because i don't have the plate full of veggies), and she's going to object to a high degree of dietary cholesterol.
    as far as the lean meats without the fat...just add your own fat. she may not like the idea of butter because it's been demonized, but maybe she would go for some organic, grass fed versions...or there's always more coconut oil.

here are the kinds of meals i would try putting together:

93% lean burgers with kale chips and pickles

roasted broccoli with a side of lean steak

turkey leg and roasted asparagus

chili verde made with chicken thighs

grilled salmon on a king sized bed of sauteed greens

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast