Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help designing a meal plan... page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, I have a feeling that there will be a lot of fish in this diet. Shrimp is out due to "high cholesterol." Chicken is in, but mossy l likely ONLY if it is skinless. Maybe lean pork chops will be ok for her, but they'll be a harder sell.

Coconut oil is a no since it is high in saturated fats. Without the high O-6 oils, probably the ONLY oil that is acceptable is olive oil. *sigh*

Veggies are almost all a go though, minus a couple like brussel sprouts that she dislikes.

Butter, ghee, tallow, and lard are a no go as well.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Yeah, I have a feeling that there will be a lot of fish in this diet. Shrimp is out due to "high cholesterol." Chicken is in, but mossy l likely ONLY if it is skinless. Maybe lean pork chops will be ok for her, but they'll be a harder sell.

Coconut oil is a no since it is high in saturated fats. Without the high O-6 oils, probably the ONLY oil that is acceptable is olive oil. *sigh*
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Veggies are almost all a go though, minus a couple like brussel sprouts that she dislikes.

Butter, ghee, tallow, and lard are a no go as well.
    damn. i'm not sure that going ketogenic is going to work. at the very least, it will be boring as hell. at least if someone has agreed to drop grains and sugar, it's a step in the right direction. maybe with a little time things will loosen up and there will be more willingness to experiment a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    damn. i'm not sure that going ketogenic is going to work. at the very least, it will be boring as hell. at least if someone has agreed to drop grains and sugar, it's a step in the right direction. maybe with a little time things will loosen up and there will be more willingness to experiment a bit.
    I'm hoping so! And she hasn't agreed to drop the grains and sugar so much as she just wants to "experiment with ketosis" is what she told me. A temporary experience to see if she enjoys how she feels and whether or not it might be worth her time to consider a new diet.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    "Mom, I've done some research, I can send you links if you want, but basically a healthy, maintainable ketogenic diet isn't compatible with the lipid hypothesis. What would you like to do?"

Done. Ball's back in her court. She's an adult, make her act like one.

Quote Originally Posted by sarasue624 View Post
    "Mom, I've done some research, I can send you links if you want, but basically a healthy, maintainable ketogenic diet isn't compatible with the lipid hypothesis. What would you like to do?"

Done. Ball's back in her court. She's an adult, make her act like one.
    Only thing is, I know which one will win.

And then she'll never experience ketosis. And I'm hopeful that a ketogenically diet will encourage her to ditch lipid hypothesis if she does well on it. One leads to the other, so to speak.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    The thing is, you can't do low carb and low fat. You cannot. So in order for you to do low carb, you have to find high fat options. And they can't be poly-unsaturated or saturated fats. Leaving only mono-unsaturated fats. Hence my olive oil post above.

So I interpret this thread as being a request for ideas about ways to cook with olive oil. Here goes:
    1. as a salad dressing
    2. as a cooking oil
    3. In Hummus/Pesto/Baba Ghanoush
    4. On an antipasto platter with sundried tomatoes, olives, cheese, salmon etc
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Heth is offline Member
    Add avocados (has some carbs but mostly fibre) to meals.
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Heth View Post
    Add avocados (has some carbs but mostly fibre) to meals.
    Those are one of her fave veggies (well, fruits). I would definitely unclude them, at least in small amounts (because of the carbs).

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    First, how many calories does she eat and how many meals? Because that will help.

In addition, "CW levels" puts "low fat diets" at 30% from fat or less. Which means you can basically put her in the "zone" with low-glycemic carbohydrates and moderate protein, and she should be able to get keto.

I would also look at olive oil and coconut oil as the main sources of "added fat" -- since these are currently touted in CW as "healthy fats" -- so she'll feel comfortable with it.

From there, I would focus on fish, seafood, and then chicken and lean beef.

Roasting the whole chicken creates a healthier chicken overall (you can talk to her about the minerals and anti-biotic/microbial/viral attributes of cooking the chicken with skin and bone, but just not to eat the skin. She can even focus on only eating the white meat, then making broths with the remainder, and then straining it so that she's getting all of the nutrition (and protein mostly) without the fats in the bone broth. She can even scoop off the fat if she wants (we don't, but hey, whatever floats a boat).

She'll do quite well with white fish -- doesn't even have to be the oily stuff -- if she is eating comfortably of her olive and coconut oils, really. And it should do the trick for her overall.

Keep her in salads and fresh steamed veggies, and then fruit 1-2 pieces/servings a day if she'd like.

It should work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast