Thread: Who writes lyrics or poetry page

NowhereMan is offline Senior Member

Who writes lyrics or poetry

Primal Fuel
    This is completely unrelated to primal living in any way, but what the hell...

So I'm a musician and a songwriter. Unfortunately, the two aren't well balanced and my music composition far outshines my lyric writing abilities. So my question for those of you who write lyrics or other types of poetry is: where do you turn for your inspiration? It seems that musicians have a very concrete set of tools they use, and those tools allow them to express what they are feeling. I think it's safe to assume that lyricism is the same. So what are those tools exactly and how do I acquire them? With music I can admire a melody, a harmony, a rhythm, my understanding of poetic language is limited to appreciating it without allowing it to influence me.

If that makes any sense, I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks guys.

EDIT: examples are welcome too

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    nowhereman, I wrote songs as a teenager, and love the way words fit together. We are talking totally amateurish, but all my music inspiration comes from stuff around me.
    Always have a pencil and pad with you, all the time, so that you can write down words that inspire, or themes that you want to explore. If I wake in the middle of the night with something inspiring, or think of something whilst our running/walking I must write it down, because I will have forgotten it by the morning or time I get back home.
    take your guitar up into the mountains, and just play. Let your mind wander.....and feel the music....

good luck and when you are done please post a video, so we can enjoy
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    you may have to do some searching, but there is a great book out there called "The Writer's Block" that is filled with inspiration for lots of writing ideas. some are certainly aimed at prose writers, but poets can get a lot out of it. some of the best songs and poetry are autobiographical, so let your inspiration come from your life. that book can help. i'm not sure it's in print anymore, so amazon and ebay will be your friends here.

NowhereMan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    nowhereman, I wrote songs as a teenager, and love the way words fit together. We are talking totally amateurish, but all my music inspiration comes from stuff around me.
    Always have a pencil and pad with you, all the time, so that you can write down words that inspire, or themes that you want to explore. If I wake in the middle of the night with something inspiring, or think of something whilst our running/walking I must write it down, because I will have forgotten it by the morning or time I get back home.
    take your guitar up into the mountains, and just play. Let your mind wander.....and feel the music....

good luck and when you are done please post a video, so we can enjoy
    Thanks, as a college student I usually have a notebook or something on my person so I'll try that. The problem I guess is translating feelings into words, but I guess practice can't hurt.

I actually do have a few videos already. These aren't my best lyrics, but I'm reasonably happy with these songs. The videos are pretty rough; These are just things I recorded for family/friends to see. The others were just me messing around with friends and aren't original work.

Proud of the music, not so much the lyrics- Dan Lucas- "When there's Trouble" - YouTube

Happy with this one all around- Dan Lucas- "Deep" - YouTube

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Sex. Dirty (and humourous) poems are so fun to write. Just a quick one off the top of my head...
    I met a pretty fair maid and brought her home that night.
    Alas I should've guessed it... She wasn't very tight!
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NowhereMan View Post
    Thanks, as a college student I usually have a notebook or something on my person so I'll try that. The problem I guess is translating feelings into words, but I guess practice can't hurt.

I actually do have a few videos already. These aren't my best lyrics, but I'm reasonably happy with these songs. The videos are pretty rough; These are just things I recorded for family/friends to see. The others were just me messing around with friends and aren't original work.
    Proud of the music, not so much the lyrics- Dan Lucas- "When there's Trouble" - YouTube

Happy with this one all around- Dan Lucas- "Deep" - YouTube

Nowhereman - huge apologies. I was unable to listen to your music. I have no idea how to turn my computer sound on - sorry. One day I will work it out, and then I can report back
    good luck and keep at it
    G
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....