Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Natural remedies for "feminine issues"? page 3

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Just see an MD. I don't like MD's, but really, putting garlic up your twat? You might have something serious that impacts fertility. If you are broke, try Planned Parenthood, they charge on a sliding scale.

If it was me, I'd try Monistat. If it doesn't work, try your doctor.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    ^Just a side note, I find it really funny that there are such disparities in thought in the ancestral health community. You'll find people who are totally against statins and psychotropic drugs, but tell you to use OTC remedies for practically anything, and you'll find people who are against even NSAIDs (Ibuprofen). There's always information for and against each option.

To me, in this case, what it comes down to is doctor = antibiotics = potentially really screwing up your gut. I'm there right now, and it seriously sucks. I'd love to see Mark get a female blogger involved in addressing home remedies for these kinds of things ("Ask [woman]" instead of "Ask Marc").

Either way, I hope the OP recovers quickly.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I guess in this case, it's a question of diagnostics- is it a yeast infection or bacteria? Once you know what it is, then you can treat it however you wish.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I have heard several ladies around here mention the Chinese herb "dong quai." I'm not a lady so I can't tell you much about it other than to say that it seems to get good endorsements for hormone regulation and other "femenine" issues from the ladies that I've heard mention it.

It's all natural at least. Maybe some ladies here can tell you more about it?
    i use the dong (heh), but it is for hormonal regulation and works just great at that. at least for me.

as for "thinking" you have a yeast infection... just eating yogurt doesn't guarantee you'll never get one. there is a wide variety of microbes in our down-there-bits, not just the handful in the yogurt.

if you have had ANY unprotected sex, get to a doctor. seriously. even if it has been with your "monogamous" partner. if you can truthfully answer no to that, feel free to try any of the natural remedies here. even if you see a doctor and it doesn't require antibiotics, you can still use these suggestions instead of monistat.

but please rule out that it is NOT an std before shoving garlic up your woo-woo.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Totally agree that if you've had a yeast infection before and you're experiencing different symptoms now, and you're sexually active, then yeah, see a doctor. I haven't had a lot of yeast infections but they've always presented with the same set of symptoms.

I'm surprised to see so much pearl-clutching over the garlic thing. It's dirt cheap, painless, effortless, and it works like a charm. Natural medicine at its best. I just poke it with a fork and shove it up in there. Voila, YI is gone within a day. And if you're worried, it's impossible for it to get "lost" up there. You just dig it out the way you'd dig out a Diva Cup.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    SEE A DR. FOR a DIAGNOSIS!

I don't see any problem in going to a Dr. to at least diagnose what is going on. You don't have to take anyting that is prescribed if you don't want to, but at least you'd know what kind of home remedy you'll need if you go that route.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Also, if it is a yeast infection ~~ COCONUT OIL. It kills yeast on contact. Soak a tampon in it. It'll be easier to retrieve than the garlic.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    ^Just a side note, I find it really funny that there are such disparities in thought in the ancestral health community. You'll find people who are totally against statins and psychotropic drugs, but tell you to use OTC remedies for practically anything, and you'll find people who are against even NSAIDs (Ibuprofen). There's always information for and against each option.

To me, in this case, what it comes down to is doctor = antibiotics = potentially really screwing up your gut. I'm there right now, and it seriously sucks. I'd love to see Mark get a female blogger involved in addressing home remedies for these kinds of things ("Ask [woman]" instead of "Ask Marc").

Either way, I hope the OP recovers quickly.
    I have chronic UTIs; have had them on and off since college. I get them 2-4 times/year if I get them at all. I can go several years without one and then a string of them. Usually, I can take a bolus dose of Amoxicillin and it knocks it out within 24 hours. This time? I'm on my second round of antibiotics and feel like I am going crazy. Last night the Bactrim seemed to give me insomnia, anxiety and weird rapid eye movements.

Will I be sticking garlic in my pee-pee? Or yogurt? Or Boric acid suppositories? Eeek

Sometimes, a visit to the doctor is warranted. Not sure it is here for the OP yet, though. There are OTC or home remedies to alleviate any discomfort. If you try an antifungal and it doesn't quickly alleviate some of the discomfort then I'd for sure go see an MD. Keep clean and airy (go commando in a dress!), don't use scented hygeine products at all, make sure you have heavy duty probiotics on hand (I like Florajen3) and rethink any contraception you are on.

Sorry! I have never had a yeast infection, but i know what it is like to be that uncomfortable in the crotch. It can make you insane.

So, I either stop having sex (husband says WHAT?!) since the UTI always comes after sex or I figure this out. Off to the MD tomorrow for a pelvic exam or ultrasound since I also have lower back ache. I don't like the doctor! I've never even been to Urgent Care...

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    I have chronic UTIs; have had them on and off since college.

<<snip>>

Will I be sticking garlic in my pee-pee? Or yogurt? Or Boric acid suppositories? Eeek
    the op doesn't know what is wrong with her. if an std might be a possibility she shouldn't be dawdling around with garlic or anything else. she needs to see a doctor. period.

i've had one yeast infection -- pre-internet. i needed a prescription and 7 days of goo in my hoo-hoo. yuk. if i'd known an alternative, trust me, i would have used it.

a few years back, i had a uti and got a script for that. unbeknownst to me, it was ineffective, i got a kidney infection and wound up in the er. zomg, was i sick.

if this is presenting differently than a previous issue for the op, she needs to see a doctor. jeebus.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 10-15-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If she's sexually active, she at least owes it to her partner to find out what she has or doesn't have.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast