Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Natural remedies for "feminine issues"? page 2

Heatherly is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You really should get it tested by a dr. Bacterial vaginosis can mimic yeast. And so can a bunch of other things.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    Drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar three times a day, up your probiotics, and yes yogurt internally can work but the acv seems to work like a charm pretty quickly. Chinese medicine has a liquid treatment called Yin care, you can soak a tampon in it and insert that works well if there is a TCM provider in your area.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    [[[[Yeast infections - prick a garlic clove with a fork, and stick it in the vagina. I've heard all kind of advice about putting the clove in a piece of gauze with a string for easy retrieval and/or warnings NOT to prick it with a fork (it can burn sometimes), but I'm not afraid to "dig" for the clove, and it doesn't usually work as well for ME if I don't prick the clove.]]]]

I started a thread on natural remedies a while ago - and this was posted by a member. I do not know how effective it would be, but it may be worth a try, and who knows, it just might work !
    Yes this works!! I have done this before. The only thing with this is that you will taste garlic in your mouth. I should also mention to make sure that the string is really tied tight to the cloth. I freaked out the next day when the freaking string broke off from the cheese cloth. The garlic got stuck in there so I had to squeeze it out as if you're giving birth.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Garlic? Really? Is it so wrong to use a little Monistat? Yeah, Grokette didn't have antifungal creams, she also didn't have pads and tampons and diva cups or whatever. It's not necessary to be primal in all things. Just exercise common sense, get some antifungals (presumably you have a yeast infection). It's fast, painless, and you don't need to diagnose yourself with native remedies. I'm sure they're effective, it's just that if I'm itching down there, I'd rather not wait around to see what it could be through the process of elimination.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
    bacteria (vaginosis)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatherly View Post
    Bacterial vaginosis
    ^ This. Plus there are sexually transmitted diseases, too. I have never in my life had a yeast infection. Just vaginosis once and an unfortunate reaction to nonoxynol 9 in the Today sponge. Remember those?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't sound like BV at all. Not all yeast infections are accompanied with profuse discharge, even in the same person repeated infections can be different.
    I second the common sensical approach of simply getting an OTC topical antifungal, e.g. Monistat, and curing this in 3 days rather than shoving random food up there.

Chanteuse is offline Member
    Boric acid. Go to your pharmacy, and get the food grade boric acid powder (not the cockroach killer!). It's used as an eyewash, so it's perfectly safe -- it's antifungal and antibacterial. Make up some 00 capsules, and insert two per night until your symptoms go away. This is good for pH imbalance, yeast, and BV. I've used it frequently for these issues, and you just have to be sure to wear a pad at night and the next morning because it creates a watery discharge.

I've tried garlic, yogurt, and probiotic pills -- boric acid beats them all, although I usually follow up a round of boric acid with some probiotic pills shoved up there just to be safe

Heatherly is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    Doesn't sound like BV at all. Not all yeast infections are accompanied with profuse discharge, even in the same person repeated infections can be different.
    I second the common sensical approach of simply getting an OTC topical antifungal, e.g. Monistat, and curing this in 3 days rather than shoving random food up there.
    In what way does it not sound like BV? As it is common to have BV with no symptoms and she mention itchy only.

I think the common sense approach for a 20 yo with nearly no medical history/past experience to go by would be to see a medical Dr.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    On using OTC remedies - Monistat has NEVER worked for me, so that's why I don't recommend it. I also don't like the idea of using chemicals for this kind of things, rather than a natural remedy.

On seeing doctors - if spending the money to get the diagnosis is worth it to you, do it. Worth knowing, I suppose, but I don't recommend anti-biotics and that's what they'll want you to take.

I believe that vaginal yeast infections are not just a result of vaginal ph being off, but something wrong with your system, that in turn throws off your vaginal ph. It doesn't just randomly happen, it's something that starts in the gut.

I have battled with YI a lot this year, so I've had plenty of time to figure out what words for me and what doesn't.

Garlic gloves, sliced a little, or cut in half, do work, but they will also affect your discharge. I used them at night, but since my symptoms were worse in the morning, it would have made more sense to insert a fresh one in the morning instead. Raw apple cider vinegar, diluted, and applied to the sore areas externally can help soothe the sore and itchy parts. If you are going to try garlic, you need to use it consistently for at least 3 days (or longer, if you are still having symptoms) to insure that it's all gone.

But this is just symptoms, not the imbalance. Candex is expensive, but it was effective for me, for a while, taken at the recommended dose. Caprylic acid capsules were also effective, and less expensive. Lay off the yogurt for now, you might just exacerbating the problem with too much sugar in your system (especially if you are unknowingly sensitive to dairy). Right now, I am having very effective relief from Pau D'Arco tea. You can also get it as a liquid supplement. It's kind of reminiscent of wood, not unpleasant, and nice with a little honey. I read to drink 4 cups brewed with a fresh bag daily. I got a yeast infection yesterday morning after drinking too much alcohol and it's basically gone after 4 cups yesterday.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If she's sexually active, I think a diagnosis IS worthwhile. Best to rule certain things out.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast