Thread: Japanese sweet potatoes - how do you like them page

LauraSB is offline Senior Member

Japanese sweet potatoes - how do you like them

Primal Fuel
    I picked up a couple of these - white with purple skin - and prepped them like I do the orange ones, but I'm looking for advice. 14yo DD is the biggest fan of sweet potatoes in the house and I try to keep them on hand, roasted and in the frig as a substitute for Doritos or Nutella on a spoon, lol.

My usually recipe for sweet potatoes is cut into chunks, tossed in a mix of olive and coconut oil and sprinkled liberally with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander and garam masala. Hopefully, DD will like the Japanese version this way. These were more like a cross between parsnips and jicama in both taste and texture (is that typical?) and they discolored super-fast once peeled. After roasting, they had a more white potato texture with a sweeter taste. DS, who is more of a white potato fan, liked these a lot more than sweet potatoes. I saw Patski's recipe for BBQ parsnip fries, which looks like a great option for DD who loves BBQ potato chips. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by LauraSB; 10-14-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

zizou is offline Senior Member
    You talking about purple skin white flesh variet? I love those and have started consuming them after going cold turkey on potato's of all sorts. To me, they taste very chestnutty and only have a hint of sweetness, which is great because i don't fancy the overly sweet flavour of the orange variety. Yesterday i had 2 of them, which i just threw into the spit roast charcoal fire in their own skin and let them cook. I wrapped one in foil, the other i just threw bare into the the burning charcoal. It was the best tasting potato i've ever had i think. The skin really crispenned up, so i cut it in half and scooped out the white soft flesh and devoured it. The foil one, was much like a baked potatoe, in that the skin was soft and not hardned and burnt like the bare one, which i simply sliced down the middle and scooped out the flesh. It's my favourite root vegetable at the moment. The only other way i've tried them so far is cut into pieces and fried in my morning veggie ommelete.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    To me they are close to white potatoes. I eat white potatoes whenever I feel like eating them, which is frequently. But for variety I eat the Japanese ones. I don't like regular sweet potatoes at all. Too sweet. Japanese one are just an interesting variation on white. I just nuke them and smother them in butter.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

KeihBarro is offline Junior Member
    I love those and have started consuming them after going cold turkey on potato's of all sorts.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i'm confused a bit... it actually sounds like you're describing okinawan sweet potatoes at times (white outside, purple-ish inside), when you describe them discoloring quickly. japanese sweet potatoes (satsumaimos) are very sweet, and have a sort of gold/white flesh, and a burgundy skin.

oddly enough, i really like my japanese sweet potatoes boiled. sometimes i saute them afterwards, but honestly, they're better than most sweet potatoes when simply boiled.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    They remind me of white cake. I like to cook them and use them to make sweet potato pancakes.

HealthyGirl is offline Member
    I actually found a recipe on here that was really good..The purple potatoes, right?
    I boiled the potatoes, then made a batch of fresh mayonaise, choped up some pickles and a jalapeno pepper, chilled it and that was it.
    It was DELICIOUS.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I love the purple yams that I get from the Asian grocery store. I made the purple potato salad that Mark suggested and I've done several other things with them.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by HealthyGirl View Post
    The purple potatoes, right?
    The skin is purple, but the flesh is white. I would love to try the purple-fleshed sweet potatoes, if someone around here would just stock them. I have occasionally seen the purple version of baby white potatoes in the grocery store.

I'm anxious now to try them boiled and buttered. That's a family favorite for white potatoes, so I'm sure it will be a hit.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related