Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cholesterol ?? page

MPM
    MPM is offline Junior Member

Cholesterol ??

Primal Fuel
    Been primal for 15 months. Just got first blood work done since starting. Cholesterol Came back 251! Which if very high. I was obviously not happy since I expected much better numbers after being primal for so long. Any thoughts?

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    What is your HDL, LDL, Triglycerides breakdown? Total cholesterol is not a very good indicator

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Nor is 251 very high.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Nor is 251 very high.
    Yup, mine is north of 200 as well

Extreme Health Radio is offline Junior Member
    Chris Kresser has a program about cholesterol that is on our website if you're interested. Many people say that a high cholesterol is nothing to worry about but finding out why is what's more important. Cholesterol as we all know is vital for health. Dr. Hal Huggins (the nations top biological dentist) says the optimal cholesterol number is 222 if that helps.

MPM
    MPM is offline Junior Member
    Tri 76
    LDL 167
    HDL 69

The report said cholesterol was elevated. Thanks for your thoughts.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    They're going to say "elevated" for anything higher than 200, but it's not true.

It was all I could do to keep from chewing out my (previous) doc's assistant when she called and told me mine was too high and "we'll have to discuss how to lower that".

No, we won't.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    That is CW elevated. Tri are under 100 which is good. It would be nice if HDL was higher than tri but you have been loosing weight so give it time. Also with Tri under 100 your LDL is calculated a bit high. Read the cholesterol primer in the forum and some of the other links here as well.
    CW keep lowering the overall number to coincide with their push on grains. The old standard was 250 but recently lowered arbitrarily to 200.
    If I were you I would get your weight stabilized and test again.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MPM View Post
    Tri 76
    LDL 167
    HDL 69

The report said cholesterol was elevated. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Have you read the link in my sig? It was gold at the time it was written, and is still basically the best advice I have found for interpreting a 'standard' cholesterol test.

Your cholesterol looks excellent to me. Your trigs are really low (if you look at your old results I bet they were much higher) and more importantly, your Trig/HDL ratio indicates whether your LDL is the large puffy 'good' kind, or the small dense oxidised 'bad' kind. Your Trig/HDL ratio is 1.1. And anything less than 2 is great.

Nothing to worry about.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There is an excellent podcast over at the Paleo Solution, Robb Wolf chatting with Chris Kresser about cholesterol.

He says there is research out there that says LDL particle size is NOTnow considered a good indicator of CHD risk, and LDL particle numbers is the way to go, he explains this in depth. I also listened to a podcast on Jimmy Moore's site with a cardiologist, Thomas Dayspring I think, who said the same thing.

Chris Kresser says you can use some of the numbers in the standard blood panel to give you an idea of your risk (they are a good indicator of particle numbers), trigs, total cholesterol/hdl ratio etc. Best listen to the podcast rather than me regurgitating it.

Here it is, very informative

Chris Kresser - Episode 151

pdf transcript here - http://robbwolf.com/wp/wp-content/up...lution-151.pdf
    Last edited by PureFunctionalFitness; 12-24-2012 at 03:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast