Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just not feeling it. page

Mr.C is offline Junior Member

Just not feeling it.

I started PB towards the end of June. I just quit eating all the crap and started eating meat and veges. I eat the same things over and over. Boring, but I guess effective. I went from approximately 230 to 200 so fast it was scary. However, I really don't feel great. I am somewhat lethargic and don't feel like doing much. I know that I'm not exercising much, so maybe increasing that would help. Slow to get back in shape because on June 22 of this year, I had a cardiac ablation to treat afib. I don't seem to have much of an appetite and all of my clothes are falling off of me. I am 57 and 6'7'' and weigh around 200. Maybe I just need a pep talk. Thanks for any advice. I have read the 21 day plan and I think I nailed it. I'm just missing something. Mr. C

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    are you sure you're eating enough? jeebus, that's a pretty low weight for a guy your height.

could it be the recovery from your procedure that is running you down?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Mr C, I have had a bout of fatigue, moodiness, lack of motivation etc.... I have been doing moderate exersize through out.....so something was amiss. I upped the potassium, magnesium and zinc - 2 wks ago, and am feeling like a different person. I wonder if you are just lacking in something ???? and no I am not an advocate of taking suppliments, however that is what has gotten me through this wee patch. I will finish each bottle, (approx 1 month supply) and then stop them and see where that goes.
    I do however also agree with noodletoy. You are a very tall man, and tall strapping lads NEED alot of food to get them through !!!!
    If you are on medications thou, please do your homework before adding anything else
    Good luck
    G
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    If you are eating the same things over and over again.. you may be missing out on some vitamins or minerals. Or your macros may need to be tweaked for you to feel optimal.

I was primal for about 8 months and hit a wall... felt like utter crap and almost threw in the towel. I'm really glad I didn't. I feel better than I have in decades now. I could go through the list of what I changed etc.. but I think the best advice I could give you is if you aren't tracking your food in some sort of app, then start doing that. The mobile apps make it easy if you have a mobile device and you will start to be able to analyze your diet more objectively. Then you can start tweaking macro ratios etc.. to really dial things in where you feel your best.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    You mentioned ablation, are you on any beta blockers? I am in my 30's and had a heart issue (ventricular tachycardia). I had the electrical study but they couldn't get it to act up again to ablate, so they stuck me on beta blockers. I felt like I had my energy and drive slashed in half the entire time, I couldn't stand it and begged the cardiologist to wean me off the meds and see if I was ok without. Thankfully I was.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    OP, I went through patches where I felt the same way, and what worked for me was upping natural supplements. Lots of pink sea salt. Brazil Nuts (for Selenium). Nori (for Iodine). Magnesium.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I would agree with the question of whether you are eating enough. I felt horrible last Spring and only got on the road to recovery once I upped my food intake. I even have a bit to lose (175, 5'3") but still needed to ensure my body was getting enough to function properly.

Mr.C is offline Junior Member
    I don't know if it's cool to reply to all at one time, but here goes. No, I take increased mag, potass, for my afib. Most people with rhythym issues tend to be low in mag and also have a poor K to Na ratio. Research indicates that our caveman ancestors probably had a 12 to 1 K to Na ratio. Today we should strive for at least 4 to 1. It's tough because everything is loaded with sodium. I am on no meds of any kind, finally. I was on beta blockers. Meeshar...Google beta blues and you'll see why you felt like crap. Meeshar, you also might benefit from reading some data on the website, afibbers.org, great stuff. I may need to eat more, but since starting primal, I don't have much appetite. I will start tracking my diet, but I don't even know how many calories I need. What are macro ratios? I am upping my exercise, so I'll need more I guess. Thanks everyone for your kind words and supports.
    Mr. C

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Ah, good to hear. It was potassium for me--I had a prescription for about a year after my issue, and now I just take an OTC supplement along with mag. He had me on beta blockers "just in case", so I'm glad I didn't have to be on them long.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    I may need to eat more, but since starting primal, I don't have much appetite.
    Processed food tends to be really high in carbohydrate, so if you are reducing your processed food intake, you are cutting back on carbs. There's a limit as to how much protein you can eat in a day (as you say, you don't have much appetite for more). So you have probably spontaneously reduced your total calorie. If you want to increase your calorie consumption, try shooting for increased fats. I personally found that cream was a very energy dense source of calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    I will start tracking my diet, but I don't even know how many calories I need. What are macro ratios?
    Macros are just carbohydrates, fats and proteins. Protein stays between 20% and 33% pretty much no matter what you do, so when people are talking about ratios they are really talking about fat-carb ratio. E.g. A 'normal' person probably eats approximately 60% carb, 25% protein, 15% fat. The 25% protein is fine, but I would shoot for 35-60% fat (which ranges between doubling or quadrupling fat intake compared to a more conventional diet).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast