Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just not feeling it. page 2

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    If you want to increase your calorie consumption, try shooting for increased fats. I personally found that cream was a very energy dense source of calories.

Macros are just carbohydrates, fats and proteins. Protein stays between 20% and 33% pretty much no matter what you do, so when people are talking about ratios they are really talking about fat-carb ratio. E.g. A 'normal' person probably eats approximately 60% carb, 25% protein, 15% fat. The 25% protein is fine, but I would shoot for 35-60% fat (which ranges between doubling or quadrupling fat intake compared to a more conventional diet).
    I totally agree with MM, and it is easy to increase your fat. For example, if I was eating 1400 calories/day, and I wanted 50% fat, that is 700 calories which equates to 100gm of butter !, so it aint much, however your calorie intake should be twice if not three x the amount I am on - so you can have a party !!!!! If you want dial-a-crowd....I'm in....us old gwammas are always keen for a party !!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Whenever I hear that people are tired after removing processed foods from their diet, I immediately think low iodine intake. Hypothyroidism used to be a big problem in the US, until they started adding iodine to refined salt.

So when you cut out refined salt (from all the processed crap), you're getting rid of much of your iodine intake, which can lead to poor thyroid function, and thus low energy levels. Google for natural sources of iodine.

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    I will start tracking my diet, but I don't even know how many calories I need. What are macro ratios?
    Macro ratios are the percentage of carbohydrates, protein and fats in your diet. In addition to how many calories you are consuming, I've found this ratio is important to how you are feeling. (energy, hunger, etc). Like right now I have a splitting damn headache and when I look at what I've eaten, my total carbs are only 26, which is very low for me.

I got the MyFitnessPal iPhone app and when I created my profile it asks for your weight, height and general activity level. It also asks where you want your weight to be and will make a recommendation for how many calories you should be consuming per day to get there. It's all approximate, but I found it a decent place to start.

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    Try to eat a wider variety of foods if you find yourself being bored. I'm actually different in the sense that I can be satisfied for weeks eating a narrow assortment of foods, but adding in new Primal foods and mixing it up a bit does give me peace of mind that I'm getting my nutrients and whatnot.

Also, although Paleo/Primal promotes high-fat eating most of the time (and rightly so to offset the fat phobia of the past century), just know that some people (myself included) do MUCH better with a high-carb approach to Primal. Carbs tend to stimulate your appetite but they shouldn't give you false hunger signals like grains or processed foods do, so you can still be very satisfied with plenty of carbs.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    You might try to vary your diet. Personally, I like eating the sane food day in and day out, but depending on what one eats, one could easily miss out on essential nutrients that comes from a varied diet. Also, by mixing it up and making tastier meals, you might find your food more appetizing and regain your joy in eating. I agree with others that you provably should not lose any more weight. 6'7 is really tall (duh).
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Mr.C is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the support. I am going to look at Paleotrack today and see if I can start tweaking my intake. So if normal carbs is 60%, what optimal for us? All good suggestions. Thanks all...have a great week! Mr. C

loves walking is online now Member
    Why are you eating just meat and veggies only. Why are you not eating some fruit and maybe some nuts..........

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    My boyfriend recently had an ablation done. He's been very irritable since then, plus he gets really angry when I can't understand what he says to me. He does not realize that he speaks a little incoherently at times, using the wrong words, which causes me a lot of confusion. I don't think he is aware of the effect the procedure had on him. He is getting a radioactive stress test today. I can't wait to see what that does to him. Maybe I should go hide somewhere.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Did he have conscious sedation? I felt off-kilter for a while after my EP study (they were planning to ablate during the procedure, but couldn't recreate the arrhythmia), and often wonder if it wasn't due to the CS medications. I was horribly irritable after the procedure (I even got into a heated argument with my cardiologist and father-in-law, which is VERY out-of-character for me) and though it's not supposed to last long afterward, it seemed like it took me a while to get back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    My boyfriend recently had an ablation done. He's been very irritable since then, plus he gets really angry when I can't understand what he says to me. He does not realize that he speaks a little incoherently at times, using the wrong words, which causes me a lot of confusion. I don't think he is aware of the effect the procedure had on him. He is getting a radioactive stress test today. I can't wait to see what that does to him. Maybe I should go hide somewhere.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried increasing your carbs? Everyone is different with the level they need to thrive, and I think this is the major downfall of Mark's macro guidelines; he assumes that everyone is more or less the same in this regard and it's just not true.

I personally developped pretty debilitating fatigue, lethargy, and depression from eating too low carb for too long. When I switched up my diet to high carb/low fat, I had a pretty amazing improvement in my health; I had a ton of energy, I felt happy and motivated.

Maybe you really just need some more carbs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast