Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How bad is a little sugar? page 2

ar0e is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    is part of your thinking that you may binge on the fruit? i have berries once or twice per week and it's very easy to stick with just that. other than that no other fruit, no sugar. it gets easier. i promise.
    Honestly, I don't think I'm afraid I'll binge on fruit, I just feel guilty when I binge on anything that is not 'okay' in my head because of something I've heard/read. I guess my problem isn't so much the binges, its the feelings of guilt and shame that go along with eating at all. Like if I have 12 sweet potato fries, I feel like a failure, so then I feel like 'what's the point?' and eat 30 more. I do the same thing with wine, I'll have a 5oz glass with dinner and then feel like I did something wrong so I'll drink 2 more glasses and eat 6 squares of dark chocolate. I guess it's not that bad because I'm not gaining weight, but I really want to lost about 40 pounds at least.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    sugar = crack cocaine
    fuck me, that's stupid.

OP, a little sugar is not that bad. however, if you let yourself eat some damn fruit - fruit! - you might not be craving crappy starbucks cans so often.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    It's not tragic, well it is, but not from a health standpoint. From a coffee lover's standpoint.

What about this? Get a little stovetop espresso maker. And a coffee grinder if you don't have one. Experiment with the most beautiful organic coffee beans you can find. Experiment with different "milks," i.e., coconut oil, coconut cream, pastured or organic whipping cream, pastured or organic half and half, etc. Experiment with various sweeteners and artificial sweeteners (search Mark's blog for info on the artificial ones). Come up with your perfect coffee drink. Chill it if you like it cold - love iced coffee in summer.

If espresso is too rich, try a french press.

Your current drink has four teaspoons of sugar in it. It comes in a can. I'm not trying to exacerbate your feelings of good vs bad when it comes to food, just pointing out some stuff. I think once you find your perfect coffee drink, the stuff in the can will become a distant memory. But if it doesn't, don't feel guilty, enjoy it! We only get one shot at this life, so we might as well enjoy as much of it as we can.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    It's a little sugar, as long as it doesn't turn into a lot of sugar, you're fine. Recovering from an eating disorder, of all things, you should not be sweating the small stuff. Take care of your mental health too and stop with all the guilt.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I can't stop on regular sugar. Consumption of chocolate and sugar in my coffee stalled me. However, I find I do fine with fruit. It doesn't cause cravings. Now, I will at times overeat fruit- like really good watermelon or just seasonal, but it isn't a habit. I do fine eating 2-3 servings a day and it helps round out my diet rather nicely.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I second the french press idea. Good coffee is so much more rewarding than mediocre coffee.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    You're fine, you are drinking and then starting your day so hopefully you are a little mobile in the morning and can use up that sugar, but as a lover of espresso, I do drink it black, the flavors are so good and dark and bold I would suggest trying to appreciate it black, or maybe a little half and half in there, which would only be like 1 carb and 0 sugar.

Corwin1968 is offline Member
    I like those little cans of Starbucks Espresso but it only took a few days of simply brewing decent (I grind 8 O'Clock Columbian) coffee in a $20 drip machine and then pouring it over about 1/4" of heavy cream at the bottom of my cup to convert me. Delicious and without all the sugar.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ar0e View Post
    Honestly, I don't think I'm afraid I'll binge on fruit, I just feel guilty when I binge on anything that is not 'okay' in my head because of something I've heard/read. I guess my problem isn't so much the binges, its the feelings of guilt and shame that go along with eating at all. Like if I have 12 sweet potato fries, I feel like a failure, so then I feel like 'what's the point?' and eat 30 more. I do the same thing with wine, I'll have a 5oz glass with dinner and then feel like I did something wrong so I'll drink 2 more glasses and eat 6 squares of dark chocolate. I guess it's not that bad because I'm not gaining weight, but I really want to lost about 40 pounds at least.
    If you went to the frig to get an egg and dropped it on the floor would you say,"Oh, F it they're all ruined" and drop the rest of the eggs in the carton on the floor too? How crazy would you have to be to actually think you had to do that? "I had a bad cookie and now I have to eat the whole bag" is no different. Culturally, it's more acceptable, but it's no less psycho.

I don't think the Primal BP (or any other eating plan) can address the twisted, emotional relationship with food that leads to that kind of thinking. I don't think it would have worked for me anyway. I had to figure out how to stop punishing myself with food before I could really be satisfied with a primal diet.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

ar0e is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    If you went to the frig to get an egg and dropped it on the floor would you say,"Oh, F it they're all ruined" and drop the rest of the eggs in the carton on the floor too? How crazy would you have to be to actually think you had to do that? "I had a bad cookie and now I have to eat the whole bag" is no different. Culturally, it's more acceptable, but it's no less psycho.

I don't think the Primal BP (or any other eating plan) can address the twisted, emotional relationship with food that leads to that kind of thinking. I don't think it would have worked for me anyway. I had to figure out how to stop punishing myself with food before I could really be satisfied with a primal diet.
    Oh I know it's crazy behavior, but it's hard for me to admit that I have a disordered relationship with food. I've been performing and thinking these crazy thoughts for the past 10 years, but I didn't realize it was abnormal until a literally a few weeks ago. My therapist told me that I met all of the criteria for an eating disorder and it kinda blew my mind. I have a hard time accepting that I have a problem that I can not control, I'm a perfectionist, which apparently goes hand in hand with eating disorders. I was hoping I could just decide stop thinking this way and it would work. But it hasn't and it's really frustrating :/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast