Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh Kettlebell Oh Kettlebell... page

valmason01 is offline Senior Member

Oh Kettlebell Oh Kettlebell...

Primal Fuel
    Thinking of starting to kettlebell. I have been poking around, getting some information and have a couple of questions.

1-I have fibromyalgia which brings with it the most ridiculous exercise intolerance. Anyone out there with fibro kettlebell? If so how does it affect you?

2-On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being bedridden and 10 being Mark Sisson, I am probably a 4. What size should I start with?

3-Walmart has the Cap bells. They are filled with concrete and covered in vinyl as opposed to cast iron. They are about $13 less. Is this a viable alternative?

Thanks for reading and providing the A to my Q's. (and yes that was more than a couple of questions, but only one more. So I had a few instead...semantics)
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Male? Female? Any exercises you have been doing?

Cast Iron all the way, make sure the handle is the bare metal and not coated.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Sorry, should have provided more info. I am female, 46 yrs old, 5'3 and 175. A fair amount of slow movement and swimming. Just started incorporating body weight exercise. Have bad knees so squats are hard but that is improving. My upper body is my weakest area. Looking for increase in strength and body tone, better movement, etc. Of course weight loss but being healthy is the ultimate goal.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Your post title keeps making me laugh! Each time I read it, I think, Oh- Ke-ttle-ball, Oh- Ke-ttle-ball, ta-ba-ta sprints are awesome ..... (from Oh Christmas Tree, oh christmas tree, how lovely are your branches... ) I guess, tis the season (almost) right?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    8kg is what I have heard before and is confirmed in this link - Bodybuilding.com - What Kettlebells Should I Start With?

Keep in mind with kettlebells you will be able to swing more weight than some of the lifting or snatch moves. Since you are doing swimming and bodyweight work you may want to start light and get a heavier one as you move on. The other option would be get a slightly heavier one for swings which are a great move for your glutes, legs and back, and get your upper body strength from bodyweight work.

Sorry but there really is no easy answer.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

KimT is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I have fibro and am a kettlebeller. Have been for about 7 years now. It is a delicate process of building up the strength and not flaring up. I started with a 12kg (so 26 pounds). We own up to a 106 pounder (which I can swing and deadlift) so I have a variety to choose from depending on the exercise. I've done competitions with the 16 kg and the 20 kg. The lowest weight I usually recommend is an 8kg (18 pounds) as most women can handle that, but it would depend on your level of strength and how your muscles work with the fibro.

My first suggestion is to find a reputable (read probably not on YouTube) coach. There are a lot of techniques that are best learned in person from someone that knows their stuff, especially since you have a condition to be cautious with. I've seen a lot of garbage instruction out there, so be careful. It depends on what style you want to work on too, sport is different from hardstyle, but both are extremely beneficial in their own way.

I'm very particular about my bells and we own all competion bells since we compete. They are the same size regardless of weight, that way your don't have to adjust to a different size when you lift heavier. I like the feel of them the best too, but that is always subject to the body of the person lifting. You want to avoid ones that arer angular rather than round on the edges as they will dig into your arm in the....well pretty much any position.

Just my 2 cents worth. Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank heavens for google and measuring system converters The one I was looking at is 20 lbs which is 9.07 kgs according to Google. So that should work? I confess despite all talk of health about all else my upper arms are driving me crazy. They are so flappy i feel like I could fly across the states with them. Will this help with that?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Quote Originally Posted by lissee View Post
    Your post title keeps making me laugh! Each time I read it, I think, Oh- Ke-ttle-ball, Oh- Ke-ttle-ball, ta-ba-ta sprints are awesome ..... (from Oh Christmas Tree, oh christmas tree, how lovely are your branches... ) I guess, tis the season (almost) right?
    LOL...that is the exact tune I had in my head...and you have added the next verse for me. Thanks cuz I was singing, Oh-Ke-ttle-bell, Oh-ke-ttle-bell duh-duhduhduh-duh-duh-duh.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Thanks KimT. I am in awe that you compete with fibro. Mine is much improved since going HFLC but if I get sassy and think I can push, it quickly puts me back in place. What brand do you buy? I was just looking online at fringesports.com and they have OFW? Gymnastic Rings, Kettlebells At FringeSport — Premium kettlebells by OneFitWonder. Kettle bells, kettleballs, kettle balls by OFW are great for CrossFit They are round like you suggested. Thanks so much!! You have given me hope I can work around the damn fibro.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast