Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh Kettlebell Oh Kettlebell... page 3

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks all. I have been looking in my area for someone but not having a lot of luck. I know there is someone here. I have been sick so not putting a lot of energy into it at the moment.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

phigment is offline Senior Member
    Valmason, you might have to join a gym. I believe at gym GH&F, they have a kettlebell class. I can check for you the next time I go if you wish. I know the trainers could show you. There extra but i believe you can get two free session.

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    Regardless of what one poster said about youtube, there are a few true professional trainers who have videos on there. You just need to find one. I can't remember the guy's name, but he has lots of videos, and is considered to be almost legendary in his mastery of kettlebells.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

KimT is offline Senior Member
    If you do go to a gym, ask for the kettlebell credentials of the trainer. Most do not have any kettlebell experience, but have jumped on the band wagon, or learned from a DVD (usually Bob or Jillian), or from a less than optimal source on YouTube. If the swing looks like it is slow motion, or looks like a front shoulder raise, or if they press and the arm is way out to the side like with a dumbbell, go somewhere else. The swing should be hip and glute driven and the press should go straight up in front, almost at centerline. Also if the bell flops overe on them during a clean or snatch, look elsewhere.

I just suggest using caution as a fellow fibro sufferer. Bells are awesome, but without proper technique, you can do damage and you need to be sure you are doing things properly.

Best of luck and hope you are able to start swinging soon!

Primal Pappa is correct, there are a few reputable ones on YouTube, but you have to know who to look for. Steve Cotter and Ken Blackburn with the IKFF, Jason Dolby and John Buckley with the OKC, and Mike Mahler are all great sources. I've trained with all of them and they have been around for quite a while. I'm sure there are other good ones I'm forgetting, but I've watched enough to know there are a lot of poor ones too.

Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    Valmason, you might have to join a gym. I believe at gym GH&F, they have a kettlebell class. I can check for you the next time I go if you wish. I know the trainers could show you. There extra but i believe you can get two free session.
    That would be great! I appreciate the offer. I don't want to sign a contract but don't mind paying for a couple of classes as long as they are not too much.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Quote Originally Posted by KimT View Post
    Primal Pappa is correct, there are a few reputable ones on YouTube, but you have to know who to look for. Steve Cotter and Ken Blackburn with the IKFF, Jason Dolby and John Buckley with the OKC, and Mike Mahler are all great sources. I've trained with all of them and they have been around for quite a while. I'm sure there are other good ones I'm forgetting, but I've watched enough to know there are a lot of poor ones too.
    Thanks! And Thanks Primal Pappa. I talked to my Dr about it today and she urges caution too because of the damn fibro. It would be nice to have a couple of classes and try it before i invest. i am convinced I can do this though. I just have to be patient and take my time. Not one of my strong suits

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimT View Post

That's the guy I was trying to think of.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Yes Primal Pappa, Steve is awesome! I've certified under his organization, the IKFF, assisted him with a certification, and attended other seminars with him. He can do some pretty amazing things and knows his stuff. They are constantly learning and revamping their instruction.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cotter rocks.... He is a little dry, but I like his videos.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast