Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimalist Running - Sore Calves page 2

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Take it slow. I told my CSM to break into it slowly and he assumed he knew better than me. Until 2 days after his 5 mile in his new VFF's. He went to get out of bed and fell over in agony when his calves cramped. I loved saying, "I told you so".

RaeVynn, good advice except for the springing off. I've done a lot of barefoot running and you learn very quickly if you "spring off" or push off with your toes you lose skin. The ball of the foot should land on the ground and the rest of the foot should settle down. You then PICK the foot up with your thighs and set it back down. Pick it up, set it down. That mantra used to roll along in my head over and over when I was running barefoot.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman_chris View Post
    Took me 2-3 days to recover enough to run again when I first used my VFFs. Used to get the worst ever muscles cramps too, searing pain and a stone hard calf.
    I know this thread is old but I didn't want to start a new one if something already existed! I walked but at a fast clip for 4 miles yesterday which was the first time outside in my merrell pace gloves and my calves were killing me when I got done! (it was supposed to be a short 30 min run or I probably would have worn different shoes and tried to break these in another time) They still hurt today, but are a little better. Sheesh.

Will jump roping really help or any other exercises I could be doing? Thanks.

kansas-klx is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lea View Post
    I know this thread is old but I didn't want to start a new one if something already existed! I walked but at a fast clip for 4 miles yesterday which was the first time outside in my merrell pace gloves and my calves were killing me when I got done! (it was supposed to be a short 30 min run or I probably would have worn different shoes and tried to break these in another time) They still hurt today, but are a little better. Sheesh.

Will jump roping really help or any other exercises I could be doing? Thanks.
    I bought some NB minimalist type shoes last winter and used jump rope sessions to prepare myself over the course of several weeks. I think it worked well. When it got warm enough that I wanted to run outside in them, the only transition needed overall was from the rope conditioning to road work. My feet/legs were used to the newer shoes by then.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    I run only barefoot now. It is a pleasure. All the knee pains, toe discomfort, ankle pains went away.
    Calves were sore for a while and now they are stronger!

My advice: unless you are doing some really rough, rocky trail running, throw away those funny "minimalist" shoes or VFFs. Go barefoot.
    Few but ripe.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kansas-klx View Post
    I bought some NB minimalist type shoes last winter and used jump rope sessions to prepare myself over the course of several weeks. I think it worked well. When it got warm enough that I wanted to run outside in them, the only transition needed overall was from the rope conditioning to road work. My feet/legs were used to the newer shoes by then.
    Thanks! I may try the jump roping. I'm back to normal today, thankfully, so it's time to start back but slow...

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Something else to consider is strengthening your fascia under-foot. I was part of a masterclass by Lee Saxby (Big barefoot man, taught 'Born to Run' man to run) and an exercise he showed was to lean forward using your big toe to stop you from falling, whilst simultaneously lifting your other toes off the ground. Hold for 15-20 secs and repeat.
    Also, squat arse to grass (I'm british, it rhymes to me!). If you can't, develop lower limb flexibility.
    Also beware of 'top-of-foot' pain. Pre-cursor of stress fracture
    Last edited by Jenry Hennings; 08-11-2013 at 05:33 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12