Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are My Calculations Correct? page 2

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    As for measuring: Get about a lb of meat in per day, on average. Try low-carb for a while but don't measure the carbs in your frickin green beans. Just avoid potatoes, rice, and snacks, follow PB, you'll be low carb. Then when you're healthier try not-low-carb again.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

AFK
    AFK is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the input, everyone.

I get the idea of self-regulation of metabolism through feeling it out. I trained for two years in an intuitive, principle-based martial art. Before I got sidetracked with P90X, I was following Taubes' general guidelines from _Why We Get Fat_. However, I also appreciate science and will crunch the numbers, incomplete though they may be to give myself a general guide.

I'm probably more active like Kelly than I am like Ken Korg. In the past year, I've biked every other day for about 40 minutes to an hour, intervals at 110 to 170bpm up until about a month ago. Last year I would go for an hour to an hour and a half, 30 to 35 miles, three days of the week. Chronic cardio. I've been doing a moderate to strenuous workout in various martial arts once or twice a week for three years. Plus, body weight training 4 out of 7 days for the past year. So, I guess I'm more like Kelly than Ken. At the same time, I'm recovering from overstress from P90X and trying to increase my sleeptime. So, I'll probably have a higher protein intake and higher level of activity higher than Ken, but I'll definitely want to slow down compared to before. I'll calculate accordingly and then feel my way forward....

I weighed in and got my body fat % from the star trek device at the gym yesterday and the result was 180lbs. and 24% body fat. Actually, I just weighed myself on my Krups home scale (morning, after breakfast, forgot to do it before) and I'm 175lbs. So, I'll roll with the body fat percentage, re-weigh myself before breakfast tomorrow and then crunch the numbers.

I tried following the Primal methodology yesterday in my eating patterns.

I had three large eggs in butter with two large turkey meatballs and two handfuls of salad greens with water for breakfast.

Then, I ate about 1/3 of a pound of italian beef with oily giardiniera for lunch.

For supper, I had another 1/3? of a pound of italian beef with a good handful of brussel sprouts cooked in olive oil.

I was hungry about three hours later so I had 2/3 of an apple. It was interesting that it did give me gas and bloating, so a lesson about somewhat more refined? fructose-based? carbs.

I'll journal what I eat from today for a week or two or until I get sick of it, in addition to using the formulas for a guide.
    Last edited by AFK; 10-15-2012 at 08:05 AM.

kmc
    kmc is offline Member
    Figure out how much meat you need to hit your protein macros. Eat that much every day. Try to keep it grassfed for better fat profiles, or eat lean cuts. Eggs are fine too.

Fill up the rest with fibrous veggies. Keep fruit/starches minimal for fastest fat loss.

If you're eating lean cuts of meat, you might need to supplement with a bit of healthy fats (fish oil, olive oil, avacado, nuts, coconut oil.)

Unfortunately, the numbers never quite add up, even for the most diligent of calorie counters...
    My Journal
    Fat Kid Turned Personal Trainer, Nutrition + Lifestyle Coach
    http://www.kentmccannfitness.com to contact me!
    Also on Twitter, FB, and Fitocracy!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    you may do better with berries or lower-carb fruits than the apple.

the gas also could have come from giardiniera. was it store-bought? often those have crap soy or cottonseed oil.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AFK View Post
    ... will crunch the numbers, incomplete though they may be to give myself a general guide.
    Yeah, that's what they're useful for.

I was hungry about three hours later so I had 2/3 of an apple. It was interesting that it did give me gas and bloating, so a lesson about somewhat more refined? fructose-based? carbs.
    The whole food-combining thing is mostly mythology, but some mixtures do seem to give some people trouble at times. Maybe fairly sugary fruit after a meal isn't the best thing. Eat the apple on its own away from the meal and see whether you get a similar reaction then -- possibly not.

AFK
    yup, it was store bought and it does have soybean oil. Also, the meat was from the local supermarket deli, not Trader Joes. I bought ten pounds of Italian Beef frozen from the supermarket, I intend to return it and go to Trader Joes or Whole Foods.

AFK
    PrimalCon New York
    I did eat the apple about an hour or more after dinner but I had crappy giardierniera and non-organic beef before that.

I can see why health nuts spend so much time preparing food....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12