Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: natural moisturizing body wash and shampoo page

Pamsc is offline Senior Member

natural moisturizing body wash and shampoo

I'm not ready to give up soap and shampoo, but I am interested in products that are more natural.

I would like to find the most natural possible liquid soap that is moisturizing. Has anyone tried the Tropical Traditions liquid soap (http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/or...al_soaps.htm)? Its only ingredient is saponified coconut oil. My skin is dry enough that I am looking for a soap that leaves a little oil on my skin rather than stripping away the natural oils. Has anyone successfully added powdered vitamin c (which destroys chlorine) or some kind of moisturing oil to liquid soap without completely losing sudsing? I'm willing to try a recipe adding glycerine and oil, but my first experiment was not a success (lost sudsing and separated).

I have grey hair and swim in a pool twice a week, so I believe I need specialized products to keep my hair from turning green. I have sought out grey hair shampoo and swimmer's shampoo that is sulfate free. Pravana Pure Light Sulfate-Free Brightening Shampoo is thin and has a horrible artificial grape scent, but it doesn't strip the natural oil from my hair. Is there a natural purple shampoo? At great expense I have ordered LANZA Healing Swim & Sun Daily Chelating Shampoo for pool use, but it hasn't come yet.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    can't help you with the shampoo, but...

how is your water quality? if it's very hard that may be drying out your skin. the pool chlorine will do that too. so can a house that is too dry and over-heated. you may also be dehydrated or under-consuming fats. a soap that leaves an oily film on my skin just sounds gross, and like something that would a) rub off when i got dressed and b) stain my clothing. i'd really focus on getting hydrated from the inside.

i don't wash with soap unless a washcloth can't scrub off the dirt. then i use dr. bonners castile soap.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Our water is quite soft (comes from a lake), though fairly heavily chlorinated. I've increased my fat a good bit--at least 2 tblsp per day of coconut oil/MCT oil/butter, two eggs, and full fat dairy. I use Trader Joes body oil after showering and it works for me, soaks in quickly. But I would rather have a soap that doesn't strip the natural oils.

why do you need soap at all? you really don't need it. once i stopped using facial cleansers, i stopped needing moisturizer and my skin is clear and soft.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 10-14-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

I use soap only on pits and privates, except after swimming when I want to get the chlorine off my skin.

just use a washcloth on those bits.

shower at the gym, as soon as you leave the pool. just rinse. stop using soap.

Ernest Hemingway

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    There isn't a soap that doesn't strip the skin. That is simply what it does.

But, we use a castile soap (you can buy hard or liquid), and it works well for hair, body, etc. Just be sure to finish up with moisturizer (we just use coconut oil).

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yes, and I just rinse in water and then oil myself after swimming, though sometimes I use a stripper in my hair to get the chlorine out (otherwise I go brassy -- I use vinegar).

KeihBarro is offline Junior Member
    I would rather have a soap that doesn't strip the natural oils.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Best soap ive found so far is Queen of Aleppo. its spendy (about 11 a bar for the highest grade) but worth it and a bar does last pretty well and it really moisturizes well
    from their website....
    100% natural soap containing olive oil and 40% laurel oil. This products has no nasty chemicals or parabens to irritate your skin. Recommended internationally by dermatologists, the olive oil gently cleanses and moisturises your skin whilst the laurel has antiseptic properties that have been known to our ancestors for thousands of years. Suitable for all skin types but especially beneficial to sensitive skins or people with skin complaints. No added fragrances. Not tested on animals. The Platinum Classic is suited to very dry skin conditions.

Ive never really found a proper "Natural" shampoo that leaves good results (Usally drys my hair out or makes it brittle) but ive had good luck with some of the natural powders , Rassul Mud & Shikakai powder are good. Reetha is supposed to be good to (havent tried that one yet)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast