Thread: Pictures of Stone Henge, England page

elliottsmith is offline Senior Member

Pictures of Stone Henge, England

I was working near Stone Henge in Wiltshire, England recently so I visited and took some pictures. The site dates from 10,000BC but the actual stones were erected around 2500BC.

The site at the moment is near a main road and this is being buried and the site is being changed back into fields so the stones look more at home in a natural landscape.

You can only get right in the site on particular dates, eg summer solstice so normally you can just walk around the perimeter which is what I have done. I've taken pictures round the whole walk so you can see them from all angles.

Don't get too excited I've just used a BlackBerry mobile to take them so it's nothing special. I have always liked them since being a child and I thought some people on this site may like to see them.

Click onto my albums on my members page, I've loaded them on the 'Stone Henge' album. There's one attached to this post, probably will have to be approved.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, people like John Aubrey attributed the structure to "the druids". But actually the important building phases there are Late Neolithic/Early Bronze Age - so about as remote in time from Iron Age peoples as we are from the latter. It's a reminder of how rudimentary people's understanding of chronology was even as recently as that. Any structure at all, if realized to be pre-medieval, was immediately attributed to (a) the Romans, (b) the druids, or (c) the vikings. And that's essentially because those appear in literary sources. Of the sheer depth of prehistoric time they had no conception.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i went there when i was a small child and you could still walk around it. i remember the stones being huge, sorta blue and having graffiti carved into them. and i dont mean cool ancient graffiti, i mean modern stuff. i also remember feeling the energy.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Ah, the things you can accomplish when you don't have cable!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottsmith View Post
    The site at the moment is near a main road and this is being buried and the site is being changed back into fields so the stones look more at home in a natural landscape.
    Good idea. An American ex-pat living outside London took me to see it and I was surprised that it was just there by the side of the road like a gas station. I expected to come upon it after a trek over some hills or something. Spinal Tap wasn't too far off.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    I recall Spinal Tap, they had an eleven foot tall replica of Stonehenge that they could walk around. Or was it eleven inches? Whatever.

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    This big debate over what Stone Henge is, and why it was built? Clearly it's just the product of a day's LHT session. No biggie.

I've lived in England for 4 years and still have yet to make it any further south than Leeds. I'm excited to take a road trip to see this one day soon.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When you visit Stone Henge, I recommend that you visit Avebury stone circles too, also in Wiltshire. Most visitors find these more impressive than Stone Henge because there is less expectation, plus the setting is much more natural ... in a village, with sheep wondering around.

Also I recommend visiting Glastonbury Tor in Somerset ... it's a very special, ancient site with spectacular views across the Somerset levels - one can see for 30 miles, 360 degrees, and it's mostly open countryside, just one small town in sight (Wells) plus a few small villages. Very beautiful.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.