Thread: Pork? page

Ocean is offline Junior Member

Pork?

Living in Australia I have exhausted all known avenues to myself in sourcing 100% pastured feed pork (If there is such thing?) and the closet answer that I could get from a supplier which I won’t name was this.

“The pigs do very well on pasture but still have a need to get extra protein and minerals. If they were totally wild, they would get these requirements from killing small animals, finding carrion and digging over a large area for beetles, roots etc. As they cannot do that in a domestic situation, they need extra feed in order to grow and reproduce. If they received no extra feed, they would probably survive but not be able to breed. My pigs receive between 1/2 and 1 kg of barley a day (more if they are lactating). They also receive protein and mineral supplements. The bacon contains nitrate in accordance with the food safety laws my butcher follows. "

From what I have read from this site this would not fall within the primal way of eating because the pork has been fed barley, I'm wondering if any of the Australians on this site consume Pork from Australia and if they could pass on the details of their suppliers.

Cheers

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Hey, mostly pastured is pretty good when it comes to pork. You won't tend to get much better than that unless you're hunting wild hogs for yourself. I'd probably go with that if he's willing to give you a deal.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Ocean is offline Junior Member
    Thanks mate, appreciate your assistance.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My pleasure.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread