Thread: Newbie who needs help!!!! page

Tedfiv Guest

Primal Fuel

I've lost forty pounds or so from February 26 when I weighed in at 195. Last time I checked I was around 155 but the weight scale wasn't to exact. I haven't really been following a primal diet at all because I just found this website two weeks ago or so. I just stopped eating junk food and focused more on whole food. In my current situation I live in church, live on 100 dollars a month and have 9 meals a week cooked for me along with 15 others or so which basically means cheap/processed food. I try to minimize the effects of these foods by eating my own veggies at the meals and whatever whole foods they cook if any. Sometimes I just have to suck it up and eat. I do eat eggs every morning and just now started making spinach omelettes. I do cook my own meals on the weekends which usually end up being frozen veggies and salmon or tuna. I've got 3 weeks left here and the I'm back home. At that point I'll be going primal. The questions I have are: 1. Is it alright to go on less than 150 grams of carbs a day when it's not always assured that I will get sufficient fat/protein to cover my energy needs for the next 3 weeks. 2. Is the brainfog a continual thing or does your body adjust to it? I'm worried that I will lose too much weight being that I'm hovering around the 155-58 range and don't want to be malnourished.

jpippenger Guest

You're in a tough position for the next three weeks. I think you would do more damage by not getting enough to cover your energy needs. The key thing, is you only have 3 weeks. Do your best to avoid insulin spikes and work more on preparing yourself mentally to going full primal when you return home.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Are you male (TEDfiv?) or female? What is your height? Any memories of a good weight and look?

You can go to no carbs, just oils and proteins. That means meat, cheese, eggs, and oils. It's the principle of the Atkins diet. PB for weight loss is sort of a kinder, gentler Atkins.

Read everything you can here and you will be on your way to understanding this. Mark is a heck of a guy for putting everything online and not making you buy his book. I wish I had the money to, just as a way of saying, "Thanks!"

Tedfiv Guest

I'm male, 5'10 and I think I could stand to lose maybe 5 more pounds(I'm 158)but that's about it. I can't remember the name of the body type that I think I resemble but for men its in the shape of an apple. Honestly I can't ever remember a time I've really been happy with the way I looked but I'm afraid I'm buying in to what society says I need to look like in order to be happy. I'm really trying to dispel that notion in my head and to focus on just being physically fit. Thanks for the advice and I definitely plan on buying Mark's book when I get back home.

Conan Guest

Are you working out? 5'10" and 158 is very skinny for a male. You might try adding some muscle to improve your physique. You can find some good bodyweight excercises out on the web that you can do anywhere and that don't require a gym membership.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I sure second Conan!

mds86 Guest

Your weight is in the healthy BMI range, so I would advise picking up the Primal way of eating and starting a serious weight lifting program. American society has, for the most part, pushed the look of a very-lean to fairly-lean and muscular male - which, in my opinion, is extremely healthy (women are a different story media-wise obviously.) Since the Primal way of eating includes a ton of protein, it should only boost your efforts in building muscle. Your weight may increase a bit due to muscle gain, but take measurements to make sure.

While you're away for 3 weeks, just practice portion control until you can control your own eating environment.

Lifting weights has always been a self-image confidence booster for me. Makes you feel strong and dominant. I guess it's a guy thing.