Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many carbs for ketosis page

Beefsister is offline Senior Member

How many carbs for ketosis

Shop Now
    As the title suggests, I would like to know how many carbs one would heave to eat to get into ketosis. I've been getting around 20, almost exclusively from eggs, bacon, almonds, and a bit of lemon on my chicken. Is this low enough for ketosis?

Thanks for the help!

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    It all depends on your body, but sub-20 should put you into ketosis. Honestly, though, I wouldn't worry too much about whether you're in ketosis or not. As long as you have your carbs that low you WILL be burning fat, no matter what something like ketostix tell you.

Lillian is offline Member
    On Mark's carbohydrate curve, it states that 0g-50g would put you in ketosis/fat burning but it really depends on the individual. 20g sounds good to me-- I usually do about 10g-30g myself per day

Primal is offline Senior Member
    FWIW. 20g of net carbs is the magic Atkins number that he uses to get people into ketosis during the Induction phase. Given his experience with patients, I'd think 20g of carbs would certainly get you there.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Below 50 will most definitely put you in ketosis. I honestly wouldn't rely on ketostix, based on water consumption, feedback loops, and time in ketosis, the results could be totally skewed. Some people say below 100 will too (baseline requirement for brain's glucose)

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Newbe is offline Junior Member
    I am finding that although I am adhering strictly to the sub 50g carbs per day I am not seeing any meaningful fat loss results. I am consuming sufficient protein (i.e. 150 g/day at a weight of 165), maintaining the workouts and rest regime yet finding that after the initial loss of some fat I have certainly plateued. This leaves me rather confused as to how low must I get my carb intake to get the last bit of tenacious fat off. Your collective advice would be sincerely welcomed.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Newbe how long have you been in ketosis for? I like to incorporate a re-feed every 7-10 days depending on your goals to up-regulate the beneficial hormones.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    As EGY stated, weekly (primal)carb re-feeds definitely help to blast through a plateau and get rid of a little extra vanity fat, especially with a 24h fast following the re-feed. I also found it helpful to completely eliminate dairy and nuts from my diet.

This is based completely on my own experience, YMMV.

ToniWA is offline Senior Member
    Ditto on the refeed and 24 fast afterward! This has worked fantastic for me and I'm down to 11.8% bodyfat (female).

I am kind of in the same situation as Newbie and have been through one 38hr fast... What is a "re-feed" a few of you have mentioned? Do you mean eat more carbs than usual and then follow it up by an IF? Curious to hear more about the "re-feed"...!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast